Author Topic: Band saw for roughing out ipe board  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Band saw for roughing out ipe board
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:21 pm »
Dust mask, are the simple cheap ones good enough or should I get something more serious? Don't want to mess up my nose or lungs

Yep those’ll work.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:33 pm »
Thanks Jim. Why not any Asian brands? I have developed quite a bit of respect for Japanese manufacturers (of many things, but not power tools, yet). Maybe they weren't any good until more recently?

I think I'm gonna save and get at least a 12"

Asian machines are almost all poorly made copies of American designs. Poor fit and finish, poor bearings, plastic and pot metal where ever it will last just to the end of the warranty.

On the Old Woodworking Forum, they don't even allow discussion of Asian machines, only US, Canada, England, Germany, France and a few others, maybe. http://www.owwm.org/
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Mounter

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 11:33:25 pm »
I have an older 8o’s model 12 inch craftsman. It will get the job done if you have enough patience. I’m looking to upgrade.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 12:32:33 am »
The white cheap nuisance dust masks did virtually nothing for me in stopping dust. I developed very serious breathing and sinus problems.
I always use P2 rated masks. I'm in Australia so I don't know if you USA guys have the same ratings. The P2 masks have a little filter/valve thingy at the front. They are disposable, but not single use. They will work until the elastic straps break(quite a while), then throw out.

If you can get a bandsaw blade with HSS tips they will last much longer on exotic hardwoods. Carbide tips are even better, but they usually are only suitable for large bandsaws, and are very expensive(worth the long term investment though).

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 02:10:09 am »
The white cheap nuisance dust masks did virtually nothing for me in stopping dust. I developed very serious breathing and sinus problems.
I always use P2 rated masks. I'm in Australia so I don't know if you USA guys have the same ratings. The P2 masks have a little filter/valve thingy at the front. They are disposable, but not single use. They will work until the elastic straps break(quite a while), then throw out.

If you can get a bandsaw blade with HSS tips they will last much longer on exotic hardwoods. Carbide tips are even better, but they usually are only suitable for large bandsaws, and are very expensive(worth the long term investment though).

Yeah they have the one was circular diaphram on the front
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:01 am »
Bandsaws are sawdust making machines and really should be hooked up to a dust collection system.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 06:24:44 am »

If you have a beard then no dust mask will work.  The masks I use are not the cheap ones but they're not expensive either.  Also I have a shop vac adapted to fit my bandsaw.  It removes most of the dust.  My jointer on the other hand makes a lot of dust which I have no way of dealing with other than a mask
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 06:30:36 am »
If your set up with rollers on your band saw and other equipment on a hard flat surface such as cement you can wheel the machine outside on breezy days to reduce the dust intake.Winters can be a little cold then though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online ksnow

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 06:44:48 am »
For fine dust control, attach a home furnace filter to the back side of a box fan and position that next to your work area.  It helps with the very fine dust, but a mask should still be worn.

Kyle

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 09:17:16 am »
Lots of great advice here. Ordered a nice dust mask. I've got two options right now for a used band saw, a 12" old craftsman and a 11 or 12" Delta (the seller isn't sure, I can't tell from the pictures), it's newer and looks like in better condition. Similar price. I think this size is what I'm looking for with my living situation right now.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:18 am »
I would opt for the old craftsman myself,  the older ones were built right, and built to last.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »
Well I got the old Craftsman, with the stand it's bigger than I was expecting, and heavier too! Hope the bumpy ride home didn't mess anything up. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 11:02:15 pm »
Show us a picture of your new-to-you band saw. I'm sure it will do a lot of work for you. The Delta would also have done well--a little more prestige with the Delta, but class doesn't cut wood.

You might want to visit the Old Wood Working Machines website to get a feel for the care and feeding of vintage machinery. The members there are eager to help with any questions about OWWMs.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Mounter

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:45 pm »
GOOd for you. Check out some u tube videos for how to tune a bandsaw, makes a big difference if it’s not set up properly. 1/2 inch blades worked best in mine for bow work. I need to try a better blade than the cheapies I get from sears, but they are easy to get.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 01:00:07 am »
I think the Delta may have only been 9 inches, couldn't find out with the part number alone though. I'll get a picture up if I get it up and running tomorrow, hard to take it out of the truck by myself. This seems like pretty good condition but the case is plastic so I'm not too sure.

I'll probably do both of those, thank you!