Author Topic: Need advice on Osage bendy layout please  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Vgo750

Need advice on Osage bendy layout please
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:56:25 pm »
Hey guys, so I have this reflexes Osage stave.  It is 60” long.  I want to do a bendy and maybe reflex the tips a bit.  Here is my issue.  On one end I have some drying cracks.  Looks like the wood is “delaminating” if that makes sense.  Do I have any options here except to cut off the end until the separation is gone? If that is the case I think I can cut 2 or 3” off and still get 27” out of it if I do my part.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Need advice on Osage bendy layout please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:43:10 am »
Vgo750,
             Cut that sucker! Take it to 55" That's more than enough for an Osage bendy @ 27...
                                                                                                                                          http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,57075.0.html

Don

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:54:21 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:44:03 am »
I don't think those are drying cracks.  It looks like it splintered when the tree was cut or split.  You need to cut that end off until you get to solid wood. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:56:36 pm »
I agree. Cut that section off without question.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:19:08 pm »
I would just start reducings the tips until I had something to work with.i
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:26:48 pm »
With that kind of reflex,I would try to make it even on a form.maybe a little d at the handle.it will be tough to break that one over to bend!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »
I don't think those are drying cracks.  It looks like it splintered when the tree was cut or split.  You need to cut that end off until you get to solid wood.

Agreed. no choice but to get to solid wood. That stuff isn't usable.

Offline Almosetx

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:38:32 am »
I may be contacting you for more information on this issue. It is very interesting.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:31:54 am »
I also would work the splintered end down to see what you have in there.  If you start cutting then you may cut off more than you need to
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com