Author Topic: What is this crack?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Vgo750

What is this crack?
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:14:52 pm »
Hey all again. So I never noticed this spot until after I put several coats of tung oil on.  I can barely feel the crack with my fingernail.  I honestly don’t know if it was there all along and I just noticed it with the tung oil or if it developed during tillering or shooting.  Since I noticed the spot I measured it very closely and I have shot the bow probably 200 times and it has not expanded a single bit. Is this anything to be worried about?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: What is this crack?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:27:49 am »
If this is on the belly, wrap it with sinew or wrap it with some cord and superglue and you wil probably be fine. If it is on the back expect an explosion in the near future :o

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:56:18 am »
I guess that is the other thing I should have mentioned it is neither on the back nor on the beltway it is along the side of the bow following a growth ring

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:54 am »
It looks like damage from "wind shake". You could wrap it with sinew like said but being on the side I don't think it will live long.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:30:55 am »
Yep, looks like wind shake. Wind shake is due to a bacterial infection that weakens the wood and causes it to separate parallel to the growth rings.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:39:26 am »
Side cracks= failure, at least for me, 100% of the time, I throw staves with visible side checks in my scrap pile.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:06:54 am »
OP, my suggestion is to throw this away. Yes a bit radical but hear me out. This past few months I ruined about 5 bows because wood had some defect or I persisted in making a bow from something which doesn't really want to become a bow. I invested hours and hours and was just mad at the end because bow would crack at 20" of draw on tiller or something else. What a waste of time!

I learned a lesson since. Always inspect wood before you even draw a layout on it and if it seems a bit "off", don't bother with it and take something else.

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:25 am »
Those types of splits usually end up dictating limb width for me. They occur a lot in the osage I have used, and I look hard for them before serious wood removal from the belly. A little late for you now. I will say I have an osage with a split like that filled with good, thin ca glue that has shot more arrows than I can count, but the bow is only 40 #. If it were mine, I would see if it took some thin ca glue in, and then wrap with sinew and shoot it.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:35 am »
I guess what I will try to do then is sand down the area to remove the crack.  It really does not look deep at all so hopefully I won’t have to affect tiller very much to get it outta there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:19:24 am by Vgo750 »

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 10:08:11 am »
Don't be surprised if it goes a ways into the limb. If it's wind shake, the result can be almost like the growth rings are delaminating.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 10:35:54 am »
   I just finished one up that has a crack running about 3/4 of the limb on one side close to the belly, I was hoping it was going to come out during tillering but it did not. So far shooting great but it does worry me. I plan on shooting it in the broadhead event at Mojam in the straight self bow class.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:21 am »
Since you already have the bow finished I would maybe add a sinew or thread wrap and keep shooting it.  It may hold or it may blow up. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »
+1.

Try to get too fancy messing with it and you'll be sorry.  Since we cant see any weird weakness in the tiller, or it doesn't gap or click, and you can't feel it,  Leave it and just wrap it tightly with thread and glue.