Author Topic: Can I save this  (Read 2837 times)

Offline paulc

Can I save this
« on: May 19, 2018, 02:35:30 pm »
So I have had this skin hanging over the fence since late October...just never got to it. Should I let it go or could I still get raw hide from it?  Was never scraped, I'm in South GA. Thought I might try to slip the hair if it was salvageable.  Thoughts?  Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can I save this
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 03:45:14 pm »
Paul, soak it in water and it will soften up then you can work with it. It may stink a bit though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 06:05:48 pm »
Yep, what Pat said. After you soak it stretch it out on a rack.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mounter

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:55:53 pm »
i agree with pat and mull/........i've worked with hides that have been dried for years. Long as bugs don't get to them you can even do fur on rugs with them. Rawhide, no problems...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 07:27:42 am »
You'll see what you got after soaking it in a water tank or creek.Then stretching it out.You'll need to weight it down to stay under water as the hairs are hollow.If it was'nt fleshed at all of fat those areas could very well be compromised or fat burned.Fleshed hides if treated with bug repellent can be kept for years dried till used for something.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline paulc

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:17:04 am »
Thanks all!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 11:36:14 pm »
paulc...you should know the state that it was in before you hung it on the fence.Fleshed or not.To make just rawhide from it will be more easily attainable than making brain tan leather from it if it is compromised any with bugs or fat burn because of the strenuous stretching involved making brain tan.Holes will appear in it then.If it is'nt compromised any it should be good to go for making brain tan then also.
Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed