Author Topic: Working on a new hollow limb yew bow  (Read 5221 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Working on a new hollow limb yew bow
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 03:04:11 pm »
Just waiting for updates on this staves progress......
Eric

Offline Weylin

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 11:39:02 pm »
Does the depth of a groove taper towards tips with leaving same thickness between groove and back of the bow? How do you know how deep to carve this?

I just use my fingers to tell me if the thickness is right. I get a good sense of whether it is a consistent thickness all the way around and I can judge the thickness taper as well. This stave is going to be tricky in that regard because there is a fair amount of variation on the back that I will need to respond to. I'm working on getting it to first brace right now. It's slow going but I don't want to rush it.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 08:25:09 am »
@FilipT
You can use a little C-shaped gizmo with a pencil and a spring. You can adjust the pencil to the desired thickness and slide it along the limb with the pencil inside the hollowed out belly. The spring will give the pencil a little tolerance to mark different thicknesses without getting stuck. You then scrape away the marked areas until the pencil just won‘t touch them anymore, thus achieving the desired thickness all over the limb. I hope this is understandable ?  :o

-can you post a picture of the C-shaped Gizmo?

Weylin ~ Beautiful work as always.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline FilipT

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 09:12:56 am »
Fingers crossed Weylin, I am sure you will do a fine job.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 10:47:57 pm »
I've got the bow braced. Tiller is still a bit off and so is the string alignment. I did some more work after these photos and evened up the tiller and I have it pulling out to about #50 at 20" Gettin' there...

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 12:23:14 am »
That’s awesome!! Definitely the best way to celebrate this piece of yew! Looks very much like this is going to be a shooter!

@Bob Barnes
Here’s a picture of the one Simon (from Stonehill Primitive Bows) uses:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:29:44 am by TorstenT »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 03:52:18 am »
That is pretty strong bow at that draw weight for such a low mass bow. Do you think if the limbs were "full" that bow would be much worse, because of high crown?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 05:38:22 am »
Oh my that is coming along nicely! That grain pops already so can't wait to see how that is going to look with some oil ;D