Author Topic: Osage Board Grain  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Bayou Ben

Osage Board Grain
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:33 am »
I found a guy a few hours drive from me that can get me some clean osage boards.  He's asking me if I need them to be quartersawn.  If I plan to back these bows, does it really matter?  What should I tell him? 
And if it works out I'll provide the contact name to anyone interested as I know there's a lot of us that have trouble getting osage at a reasonable price.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Osage Board Grain
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:08:31 am »
I think Badger was calling for some a while back.I've got a guy here too that has boards but does'nt want to mess the whole sending process from what I remember.He's made a number of BBO's from his stuff.Me too.Osage is pretty forgiving as we did'nt use perfect wood really,but I guess it's best to use the best you can get.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 01:19:23 pm »
All boards should be straight grained, with only a few run outs per limb depending  on target weight.
Quartersawn must have straight grained edge grain.
I would never buy a board I did not inspect.
More on  my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:45:12 pm »
If you are going to make bamboo backed bows you can make them out of about any osage that only has small pins and is plain sawn. Quarter sawn may present a problem if it has pins running cross ways in the board.

I have made at least 25 bamboo backed bows with all kinds of twist and grain run out, never had one fail.

Here is an example, this bow is 12 years old.