Author Topic: Turkey Box call?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Turkey Box call?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 11:45:54 pm »
Leroy,
Elbow pads and a helmet, too!  Gloves for heat treating bows, and straightening arrows, and don't never lie to a sergeant, or an officer - to other folks, excepting maybe!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 07:45:03 am »
Hawk,
If I can help you in any way, I will.
The dimensions Zuma gave you will work fine and should give you a high pitch of a young turkey.
My first question to you is what kind of tools do you have to work with? You need a table saw, drill press and a belt sander to get started.
Neil Cost, the greatest of all of the custom callmakers said "Poplar. mahogany and cedar are the best woods for a box call", too That I would add American Chestnut as another good choice.
Like JW's pal, I made my first box call from a 2x4.
There are 2 basic styles you can choose to make, the sawn and glued style where the pieces are cut out and then glued together and the hewn out style, where the sound chamber is hewn out of a single block of wood.
The sawn and glued model is the easiest to make, the hewn out model allows you more control over the quality of the sound the call will make.
Here are some dim's for a s&g call,
Paddle-3/8 x 1 3/4 x 10, put radius on bottom of paddle with belt sander. Place sander on table upside down and try to get radius as even as possible.
Sides-1/8 x 1 3/4 x 6 1/2, Radius top edge 1 5/8 at the middle and 1 3/8 on the ends.
Base 3/8 x 1 3/4 x 6 1/2.
End Blocks- 1 x 1 1/4 x 1 3/8, saw angle on block to make it 1 1/4 at the top and 7/8 at the bottom.
At this point glue everything up, drill some holes for the screw and spring  and give it a try.
You can adjust the call by moving the screw in or out to find the best tone your call will make.
If your call is to low in pitch try making another call with slightly thicker side walls, if your call is to high in pitch, use a good pocket knife like a cabinet scraper and scrape the inside of the side walls to make them a bit thinner.
I hope this helps, the hewn out type is more complicated but worth the effort, if you want to make this style let me know and I'll get you some dim/s.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Stoker

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 08:06:34 am »
Hawkdancer - Glad you seen one.. Heard a couple.. A good camp is all that really matters.. Gives you a reason to go next year.. Spent many a year in northern Alberta hunting (sitting in tree with longbow) waiting for the right bear..
Buffalogobbler - Thanks for the sizes and advice
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 10:38:03 am »
Kevin,, sent pm.  Jacie saw 2 Tom's right outside her client's window well within shotgun range, both have nice beards.  Will post pic as soon as I remember how to do direct post.  Come on fall season!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 10:49:04 am »
Got the tools needed, as well as a variety of carving knives for fine finishing.  Springs are another matter, off to Ace!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 04:14:14 pm »
You won't have to show me the box you make Dancer, just the Gobbler >:D
Glad buffalo showed up :)

Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 11:08:25 pm »
So far, all the boxes I've made are definitely primitive!  Not calls, but other types, with repurposed redwood!  Have to practice calling this summer! 
Hawkdancer
Jerry