Author Topic: First Bow  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Archen

First Bow
« on: May 27, 2018, 08:06:32 pm »
Hey all, long-time lurker here that finally decided to post what I've been working on. This is my first and only attempt at a bow so far.. I have neither the time or space needed (apartment dweller with a very patient wife), but I was instantly fascinated by making wooden bows and had to try.

I started with a mora 106 and a 1.5" sapling, and did the shaping and floor tiller with that. Progress stalled when the limbs got too thin to carve comfortably, and I finally ordered a Shinto rasp to tiller with. With the new rasp I was finally able to move from 6" to 12" @ 35.

Goal is 35 lb @ 28" which shouldn't be hard, but I'm working with 46" nock to nock which I understand is very short. The bow started with a curvy limb which I steamed out, and then put in minor reflex to the tips. The plan is to reflex tips further and deflex at the fade as I take it closer to 20" draw.

Link to photo album here, and a few questions:

1. Wood species? I didn't document anything till I was well along and realized I have no idea what  the wood is. The wood is very hard and I can't scratch it at all with a fingernail. Best guess is Beech. First photo in the album is from a cut-off with the only bark left.

2. I did an unconventional nock with a carved profile, and I think it will be too heavy as is. It's currently 1/2" wide & 5/8" deep, how much can I reduce the width without worrying about it snapping off?

3. There's a wide pith through the center of  the bow, about 1/4" diameter. I think it will be alright, being some sort of version of a hollow limb design...anyone else made a bow with a similar pith?

4. speaking of the pith, to finish the bow I want to saturate the pith with black ink to give it a cool contrast where the pith is exposed. Can anyone recommend a type of ink that would absorb well into the pith?

Offline burchett.donald

Re: First Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:02:29 pm »
Archen,
            Welcome to PA...Ignore the pith, it wont cause a problem, many bows have them...I have an Ocean Spray like that...Nice steamed in reflex...You should be able to reduce your tips also, my pin nocks are 1/4" W...
                                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 06:15:09 am »
My guess is Norway maple but don’t take that to the bank. I say that because i have a few staves of it drying and the bark, grain, and pith look similar.   Nice one; i like it.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 08:27:43 am »
Getting 28 inches of draw from a 46 inch stave is asking A LOT. Even if it was a bendy handle, I’d say the most you could safely get is 22-23 inches of draw. The stiff tips and stiff handle is really going to cut that draw length down.