Author Topic: Hidden flaw  (Read 1785 times)

Offline rps3

Hidden flaw
« on: May 25, 2018, 05:03:38 pm »
I had this recurve drawing 60# at about 24 inches when I heard the dreaded tic. Upon close inspection I found a barely visible separation of the growth rings closer to the belly than the back. The more I tried to scrape it away, the worse it got. I was making this for a guy who just let me cut some osage. Oh well...I already grabbed a new stave.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Hidden flaw
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 05:48:19 pm »
Wow!  TWO leg vises!

I have one I haven't mounted since we moved here 8 years ago.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 06:33:55 pm »
Jim, I have another one in the shed for outside work. I love them, and if I see one for a good price I pick it up. When I use one I start to think about all the things over the years that were put in that vise. The outside vise is all pockmarked from hammering.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58:52 pm »
I've come upon hidden flaws in osage before.  (--)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:34:30 pm »
I get that in yew more often than I'd like. I have a whole pile of otherwise flawless yew staves that are basically worthless because of ring separation.  :'(

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 07:45:19 am »
Just yesterday I was working a narrow osage stave and when laying out the thickness noticed a hairline ring separation. Luckily, I was able to go down 2 more rings for the back. Now, my problem is (since the limbs were already narrow 1.1875 I'm not sure I have enough thickness left on the belly to obtain my desired draw weight as the stave is 55". I'm thinking about backing it with elk sinew. One hidden flaw and the game plan changed drastically and quite possibly won't yield a bow. I've only built a few bows so I'll chalk this one up to a learning experience.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:26:24 pm »
Good luck with your stave PaSteve. Sometimes the ones that fight the hardest turn out to be among the best. Didnt realize yew did that alot Weylin.  "Hidden" is the bad part upstate...I never saw the busted bow at fd emoji before, thats a good one.