Author Topic: Turkey Box call?  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Turkey Box call?
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:36:53 pm »
After my first turkey hunt ever, (in the Black Hills), I would like to make or trade for a good box call.  I have several types of exotic wood, but need a pattern, or set of build plans.  Is it best to build from a single block or will a laminated piece work as well?  Any help is appreciated!  Sending PMs to Mullet and Buffalogobbler.  Thanks!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Turkey Box call?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 01:19:00 pm »
You can make a box call either way. They both will just require tuning when it's close to finish. Kevin is the box call man.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:47:07 am »
Kevin Raybould (Buffalo Gobbler) is defiantly the guy to ask about box calls. He makes outstanding looking and sounding calls.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 05:21:34 pm »
Dancer, here are two types--- solid poplar and western cedar.
Solid one is store bought and cedar is hand made.
Zuma
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:08:29 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »
The boxes  are 6" X 13/8"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:39:51 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:27:46 pm »
I must have at least 100 calls waiting to be made from well aged western cedar 2x4s!  Why the heck didn't I think about that sooner!  Now, to learn how to make them and use them!   What are the dimensions on the sound cavity?  Thanks!  Btw, will send a pm regarding your Bad luck rock!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:43 pm »
Anybody try making them out of redwood?  I got a bunch of that, too!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:14:49 am »
Dancer I am sure redwood would be ok. The Thug box chamber tapers from 3/4" to 11/8" wide  11/4" deep
The thickness of the walls is 1/8" and 1/16" It's poplar. The cedar rails are 1/2" high above the solid block and are 1/8" thick.
Zuma

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:20 am »
Sorry about all the photos and being mixed up a bit.
Send me an email address and I'll send you the video of the big box.
Zuma

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 10:41:27 am »
That is one big box - for really big turkeys, or long range calling?
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:44 am »
Sent a pm
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 03:21:21 pm »
That's a great looking call Zuma.. If the god's smile on me I'll great a draw after 7 years.
Thanks Leroy..

Hey Hawkdancer... Did you guy's see of them feathery critters??
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 02:33:19 pm »

Sore subject, brother, sore subject.

I had a buddy that has no class, tact, good taste, or filter. Needless to say, GREAT GUY. He built a box call out of a 2x4 with a dremel tool and a pocket knife. Stupid thing was so ugly I saw a pine tree throw up when he pulled it out of his pocket out in the woods. I pointed and laughed (if you know Mikey, you know this only encourages him). Much to my chagrin, with a little luck, lots of practice, and your tongue carefully clenched firmly in cheek...the bloody awful thing worked!  We had a number of birds responding to it that weekend.

It seems to me the most critical points is that the sides need to have a little outward angle and the lid needs to be curved underneath. From there, you just keep varying the angles, depth, length, and materials as you slowly become eaten up by the custom call making bug. From all I hear, it is even worse than the bow making bug.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 04:19:44 pm »

Sore subject, brother, sore subject.

I had a buddy that has no class, tact, good taste, or filter. Needless to say, GREAT GUY. He built a box call out of a 2x4 with a dremel tool and a pocket knife. Stupid thing was so ugly I saw a pine tree throw up when he pulled it out of his pocket out in the woods. I pointed and laughed (if you know Mikey, you know this only encourages him). Much to my chagrin, with a little luck, lots of practice, and your tongue carefully clenched firmly in cheek...the bloody awful thing worked!  We had a number of birds responding to it that weekend.

It seems to me the most critical points is that the sides need to have a little outward angle and the lid needs to be curved underneath. From there, you just keep varying the angles, depth, length, and materials as you slowly become eaten up by the custom call making bug. From all I hear, it is even worse than the bow making bug.

Hmmmm What could wrong?? Not the first time I ran full bore down a slippery slope..
Seems as luck has it.. Somebody was tossing out some beautiful western red cedar cut offs at work today.. Destiny I tell you...
Tying my boots on tight
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:25 pm »
Only Tom we saw was in town, running from the rain, in the afternoon.  Even in Custer, SD, they frown on hunting in town!, but at least the sob crossed the road in front of us!  We did get some "talking" but not coming close enough!  Well, maybe .223 close in fall season, but this is spring". Curses!  Foiled again!  Turkeys, 5, Hunters, 1, and that is seasons!  Good camp, though!
Hawkdancer
Jerry