Author Topic: Apache Plume-any expert advice or tips?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Apache Plume-any expert advice or tips?
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:34:05 am »
Just ID'd a bunch or shrubbery on the road to the range...tons of Apache Plume finally putting on the plumes.

I'm going to drop the bow off at the house and grab a pair of pruning shears and harvest some.

Anyone have any expert tips or advice?  I'm planning to leave the bark on, seal the ends, and bind together in bundles.  If anyone can recommend if this is the best approach or not I'd appreciate it.  I will skin a few, put glue on the ends, and see if they'll dry without cracking just for future reference.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Apache Plume-any expert advice or tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:11:46 pm »
Update:

Will have a lot of straightening to do.  Hard to find a shoot that isn't curved.   Cut many various widths as I'm not certain  which thickness will get me closest to an acceptable spine.

Also difficult to find shoots about 30" without a major forking branch. So I have a dozen that are 30 inches-ish and a dozen and a half that are closer to 16" to 22" that I'll experiment with. 

I debarked 4 really short pieces to see how they dry.  These don't seem as wet under the bark as wild rose, currant, and sandbar willow I've collected.   Not sure if that poses any  significance.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-