Author Topic: Cattail leaf quiver  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Cattail leaf quiver
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:41:22 pm »
I finally got around to trying to weave some cattails I harvested a couple years ago into a quiver. This was my first attempt so I had to learn a few things as I went. But I think it turned out decent enough. I’m not too concerned about some of the flaws as this will be a wall hanger piece for my Grampa. But I think it’ll still be solid enough to be used.
A question though for te next few I do that will be used and probably hunted with. After it fully dried the falling between the leaves opened enough to be able to move. It’s not enough to hurt the function, just enough to notice it.  Can I soak in some linseed oil to both water proof and swell the leaves back so they don’t wiggle as much?
I will also change how I did theiught to finish out nicer and probably a bit tougher. Though I do like the bottom, and I did it that was since I was afraid the cattails wouldn’t handle the bend needed to make a solid bottom without creasing and becoming to delicate. I just put a wad of grass in the bottom to keep the arrows from poking through.

Thanks for looking,
Kyle

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Cattail leaf quiver
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:57:55 pm »
That turned out very nice.
Did you soak them before you started weaving?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 09:11:47 pm »
I have more soaking the same way now. I spray them down then wrap them in a tarp to hold the moisture. Onced wrapped in the tarp I set it in the sun for a day and spray them periodically. I still had trouble with the leaves kinkin as I worked themed but it was tolerable once I figured out how to manipulate the leaves.

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:32:36 pm »
You might be able bend them to shape before drying.  Or weave the flat bottom before hand then add the tube.  I am not up to speed on basket weaving, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 03:54:12 am »
I wonder if you could do this with yucca? The tips might not be stiff enough though

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:08:57 am »
I have never used cattail but bent some canes at very steep angles dropping them for a couple minutes in boiling water
For ultra steep angles I actually bent them while still inside hot water
once cooled they retain all their strength