Author Topic: ‚Bridled Dragons‘ - Penobscot, fumed BL/yew, 65#@28“, 69“NTN  (Read 11983 times)

Offline TorstenT

Hi, folks!

I would like to present you my third finished bow. I named it ‚Bridled Dragons’ - for obvious reasons... ;)
I’m aware that this is not the preferred type of bow in this forum, since it is quite unsuitable for bow hunting - it would most probably snag every branch even remotely in reach and is certainly not built for high performance.
But hopefully some variety is appreciated here as well, so I‘ll show it anyway... ;)
It‘s a Penobscot-like design and is made from Black Locust (heartwood only) with Siyahs and dragon head nocks (not ‘knocks’ :D) from a naturally crooked yew branch. The color is the result of 4 days in ammonia fumes and shifts from dark brown to bronze, depending on the light conditions.

Some details:

- 65# @ 28“
- 69“ NTN (measured over the necks)
- ca. 1“ set
- horn inlays in all four dragon maws to direct the string tension deep into the carved heads
- horn arrow plate
- bullfrog leather grip
- string and cables 12-string Dacron B55 double Flemish twist with reenforced loops
- finish: 2 layers shellac, several layers linseed oil.

The bow was made from leftovers of a failed project for a sapling bow competition at a German forum (Fletcher’s Corner). In this competition we had 6 weeks to fell a small tree with a max. diameter of 4“ and build a bow with 30# of draw minimum. The reason, that it has Siyahs at all is that one of the tips of the main bow snapped off after an overly aggressive attempt to bend small diameter recurves with dry heat. The bow dropped out of the competition, but I decided to save as much as possible. So I cut off the other tip and spliced in Siyahs.
Due to the rather heavy weight of those Siyahs (around 490 grains per piece) and the compression of mainly the inner limbs typical for the Penobscot design, I chose a tiller somewhere between elliptical and whip tiller.
The bow draws and shoots very comfortably with almost no handshock and is surprisingly silent. The average speed of 10 gpp wooden arrows was between 155 and 160 fps. So - not as bad as I thought it would be...
There‘s no observable compound-like effect with this kind of Penobscot design. The force/draw curve is fairly linear (see below).

But enough bla bla - on to the pictures! :D
I hope you enjoy them and I‘m always grateful for constructive criticism!

Torsten

Offline TorstenT

More pics...

Offline TorstenT

More...

Offline TorstenT

The last few...

Offline DC

Very cool! Excellent work! I like the dragons :)

Offline shofu

Wow! I thought horn tip overlay were cool - those dragons are amazing! Did you carve them? The string looks like reins.
Super cool bow and I like your pic.  Bet you could hunt a dragon with it!
Cheers,
George

Offline bushboy

Das ist Uber geil!!excuse my bad German,I worked in Berlin for 3 year in blankenfelde,klienmachow by the teltow canal years ago.great artistic work on that one!very cool,tiller looks great,way to think outside the box!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline TorstenT

Thanx, DC, George and Bushboy!  :)

@shofu
Yes, the dragons are hand carved. Roughed out with my trusty Dremel and finished with carving knives, small files and fine sandpaper.

@bushboy
That’s cool! I live in north-western Berlin.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
What a bow TorstenT!!!I commend you to your craftsmanship and persistence.Truly one of a kind like I've never seen before.Congratulations.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Greg DeJanes

Wow!   Very Nordic, unusual, interesting and cool. Again Wow!

Greg

Offline Weylin

Re: ‚Bridled Dragons‘ - Penobscot, fumed BL/yew, 65#@28“, 69“NTN
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 11:27:46 am »
I love it! Those carvings are top notch!. Not every bow has to be a speed demon or super practical. It's nice to see some variety and artistry. Well done, sir. The tiller looks great as well.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 11:46:38 am »
You are very talented. Artistically designed functional bow. Outstanding craftsmanship.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 12:13:55 pm »
I noticed in the full draw photo that the small bow isn't bending that much. Do you think the B55 is stretching? I wonder what the draw weight would be if you used Fast Flight cables? Just thinkin' out loud :)

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 12:24:01 pm »
What a way to save a broken bow. The carving is impressive. If I only had that sort of carving skill. Very cool bow, "practical" or not, it shoots with plenty speed to make a kill.
Eric

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 01:23:43 pm »
Wow! Thank you all so much for your overwhelmingly positive comments! That really means a lot...

@DC
The secondary bow is quite strong, so even a slight bend adds considerable draw weight. In this setting there‘s very little tension on the cables on brace height. If I’d give them a few twists, the draw weight will rise way beyond 70# - which is still rather uncomfortable for me...   
The cables are made from 12 strings and very short, so I don’t think, that stretch is an issue.