Author Topic: yall have got me determined.  (Read 13684 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: yall have got me determined.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 12:16:12 am »
Thanks Kenneth! I don't have a scale and have never spined a shaft - need to get on the ball ;D. Last dozen (the first dozen by the way) they were some fabulous looking arras ;D, but were only four in the bunch that would fly straight :'(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 12:18:35 am »
when i harvest my shafts i'l take pictures of em and post. im pretty sure its just rivercane, but im sure yall can id it. plan on harvesting this weekend.
lets just shoot it

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 12:29:28 am »
i made a similar batch out of oak dowels.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 02:10:20 am »
Recurve, take a camera with you and take some pics.
Nicely done Paul.   On your first cane arrows that don't shoot well, flip them over(cock feather in) and try them again. Many times that's all it takes. ;) Are you lining the nock up perpendicular to the nodes?
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 09:58:24 am »
On my cane arrows a lot of them fly really good and some pretty good. My problems is to get a batch that all fly the same. I guess you just have to make a bunch and cull the ones that dont grupe with the rest, to get a matched set.  Anxious to see them at Pappys, are you driving or flying?    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 10:41:29 am »
Recurve, they would be alot easier to ID with a pic of the live plants and a close up of the cane shaft :).

I'm not sure what nock perpendicular to the node means Pat, but I did line the nock up with the point - meaning the two cutting edges of the point is up and down when the arra is knocked on the bow. I'll try that flipping them over thing - think I have one of the bad one's left that I haven't given away yet.
 Kenneth: if you were asking me, I'm driving. Will already be in AL, about two and a half hours away...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Little John

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 11:22:24 pm »
Oh yeay Cowboy I guess that was not too clear, but yes I was asking you about the driving. You must travel with your work? I just thought that was quite a trip from Texas.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »
Yep Kenneth - it's a purty good drive, about thirteen hours I think. Not near as bad as Justin, or some of the others last year though, or you? Seems like your up in Colorado, Montana? Trying to remember from the Lil bucky story :).

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 11:55:40 pm »
Yes I am in S.W. Colorado but don't remember any thing about the little bucky story.   Kenneth

Offline cowboy

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 12:24:40 am »
Oops, well forget that. I'll have to dig back through my mag's and see what I missed or I may just be imagining things :-X.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 01:39:27 am »
Paul, What I mean is have the bud portion of the nodes on the side of the shaft instead of on top and bottom. The sides of the cane with the nodes is usually the stiffest side. I also cut the nock and point slots the same direction.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 09:58:51 am »
Pat B. Do you compress the nodes while the cane is still green or after they are dried? Do you use oil? I usually file or sand the nodes a little. I would like to try the compression method.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 05:00:33 pm »
Cheapshot, I compress the nodes as I'm straightening the shafts. I start with the internodes first, let them cool for a day and straighten the nodes and let them cool for a day then re-heat and compress the nodes and heat temper the entire shaft. Oil is not necessary but I sometimes use it when straightening but not when tempering. When you heat up the cane you will notice droplets of "sweat" appearing on the cane. When you see it, its ready to work.
   I have never tried to heat straighten green canes. I do, sometimes straighten green canes a bit without heat as they are drying.     Pat

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 08:13:41 pm »
Pat thanks for the information.  I've read about the Korean Arrowsmiths  tempering their shafts over a bed of coals. Any tips about tempering cane? Have you tried using the oven?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 12:53:40 am »
OK Pat, gotcha now - wil giver a try :).
 Kenneth, I am now removing foot from mouth ;D. I don't know where I dreamed up Lil bucky, I was thinking about Elkie :).