Author Topic: Opinions: utility kilt vs shorts and leather apron  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Opinions: utility kilt vs shorts and leather apron
« on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:09 am »
I’m looking into the two options of either a tough utility kilt or a leather apron over workout shorts for working and carving outside in the heat. I’m wanting more cooling and comfort than jeans but more durable than workout shorts. I’m leaning towards a utility kilt, but am looking for opinions.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline bubby

Re: Opinions: utility kilt vs shorts and leather apron
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:50 am »
I think the kilt will be cooler, but I'm Scottish so I'm biased😁
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:43:45 am »
Shorts and no apron.  Toughen those legs up  :D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:22:25 am »
Kilt and no shorts, it's cooler. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 12:05:04 pm »
Apron and no shorts is even cooler! >:D He! He!  The utility kilts allow a bit more ventilation, but are rather heavy weight canvas!  The Utili-Kilt brand comes with pockets!, of all things!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:06:01 pm »
ever try bib overalls?
that's my go to work wear in hot weather.
get em a little large around the waist.
a fella can get plenty of air flow.

Offline Melvin Gregoire

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 07:46:00 pm »
Had a buddy at the Classic last year that wears the kilts he swears by them

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 11:51:38 pm »
Only problem with a kilt is you need a sporran and a possible bag!  I have several kilts, auld and raire!
Which is Scottish and Irish for really damned expensive!!  Seems like all the clans I'm related to are "special weave"!  I can make you a good deal on an elk hide hand made sporran!  But be damned if I am going to wear an $900 kilt in the field!  Either of them!  Better story over a beer! >:D
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:36 am »
I think I’m gonna go with the utility kilt. Thanks for the input everyone. I found one that to me looks like it’ll work well for what I’m after, sold by Kiltandjacks. Who knows after a couple years of I decide I like wearing them, I may end up getting a true kilt and all the fun stuff that goes along with them. No idea if I have any Scottish blood, so don’t know how appropriate that would be.

Kyle

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 05:53:56 am »
No dresses for me, ;) :)  I will stick with Bibs.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:35 am »
Hawkdancer you can get a utility for the price of Carhartt bibs
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 10:28:11 am »
Cheap, breathable mesh gym shorts last me for years and years until my wife throws them away because they are covered in glue or stains. How are you wearing yours out so fast you need to find something better to work on bows with? Seems crazy to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:35:11 am »
I found a field tartan kilt through The Celtic Croft (Kilts-n-Stuff.com) for about a C note.  Seems like a lot of rugby players, and outdoors type chaps like a less expensive field kilt, as well.  Their catalog usually lists pictures of the various tartans, usually about half of them in each issue, the current one only has the most popular homespun weaves; there are about 1500 recognized tartans.  I think they have a complete list on their website with pictures, or link to tartans.com.
Kyle, luckily, you don't have to be Scottish or Irish to wear a kilt - Samoans wear a non pleated short kilt, and so do several other cultures.  The rule is simple, if you like a particular tartan, buy it and wear it!  You should know what it is though, you'll get questions!  For work, it doesn't matter! CC has 3 utility kilts listed.  I can email you that page, if you like.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 04:53:53 pm »
Thanks hawk dancer I’ll check out that place. And thanks for the info.
I use my legs to prop up the limbs while rasping and using the drawknife do I can put more pressure without bowing the limbs and twisting the stave out of the vise. With basketball type shorts I snag them a lot and end up tearing out the legs. I’ve cut them a time or two with the drawknife and a time or two with the rasp, that’s usually when I’m hot and lose focus on where the blade is in relation to my leg. I don’t do that quite as often anymore but still happens. Denim jeans hold up well enough but do get a bit warm and sticky when carving in the sun during summer, Which shortens how long I’ll work on bows at a time.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 09:40:28 pm »
I ended up going through keltoc Croft. Initially ordered a utility. But since it had a 6-8 eeek backorder. I changed the order to a poly/viscose kilt in Hamilton grey tartan. It still has a wait time. But is a bit shorter, and if I have to wait I’d rather wait for this one. Thinking about tanning up the otter hide in the freezer to make a sporran out of.

Kyle