Author Topic: spliced yew suggestions, now sinew backed and retillering  (Read 17364 times)

Offline DC

Re: spliced yew suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 11:38:31 am »
It looks real nice. I like the braced picture, it's just a slightly different bend. Funny it's not as fast as you expected.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 11:44:54 am »
That explains it, Matt cuts the best splices I've seen.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 12:04:45 pm »
My thoughts too,DC. Maybe if I do sinew back it it will pick up a few fps.
 Pearlie, Matt has only done a few thousand splices. Way better than I could have done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 12:14:53 pm »
Just an observation here Pat.It looks like at rest there is 0 reflex put into any of the working limbs.Just recurved tips and that's all.Sort of a straight line fade to tip type deflex?Unless it was induced and pulled out through tillering I don't know.A little reflex induced to the outer third of the limb[midlimb out where it won't pull out too quick] to bring the tips a bit forward might very well increase the early poundage enough to bring the overall poundage up on it's own without sinew.Of course that increases stress on that length of bow too but with the deflex profile still there that should relieve the stress some yet.
Very nice work so far though.Nice looking bow.Of course reverse bracing after sinewing will accomplish that reflexing for you too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:31:51 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 12:16:43 pm »
Have you chronoed it? Sometimes smooth masks speed.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 12:21:25 pm »
Just an observation here Pat.It looks like at rest there is 0 reflex put into any of the working limbs.Just recurved tips and that's all.Sort of a straight line fade to tip type deflex?Unless it was induced and pulled out through tillering I don't know.A little reflex induced to the outer third of the limb[midlimb out] to bring the tips a bit forward might very well increase the early poundage enough to bring the overall poundage up on it's own without sinew.Of course that increases stress on that length of bow too but with the deflex profile still there that should relieve the stress some yet.
Very nice work so far though.Of course reverse bracing after sinewing will accomplish that reflexing for you too.
I missed that. Even with the recurves the tips are still quite a bit behind the handle.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 12:23:36 pm »
At rest they look to not be or I mean the tips not behind or above the handle.That's why there is the rounded look at brace in the working  limbs opposed to it looking more angular looking at brace.
Top notch beautiful splice work on that handle I might add.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:37:30 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 12:52:29 pm »
Ed and DC, I had reflex added to the limbs and recurved tips but most has worked itself out. I used steam for the recurves and dry heat(with oil) for the reflex and alignment.
 I have what I need for a few layers of sinew but in our humid summers sinew only works well in the drier winters. I haven't used much yew so I don't know how heat treating the belly would work to help hold any added reflex.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 01:04:41 pm »
I see.I believe your right then Pat.Making changes with dry heat to a bow already full drawn can be a risky adventure most times with most woods.Getting yew too dry is not a good idea.Sinewing might be your best option here on this yew.
I've used plenty of beef backstrap with very good success before.I especially liked the long lengths I got from it.
Sinewing will just take longer to cure really in higher humidity.It'll cure.Just give it time as humidity gets lower.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 01:17:31 pm »
Thanks for the offer, ED but I have plenty of beef sinew, already shredded and ready to go and lots of good hide glue. It's the same as I used on the recurve I posted a few days ago. I may go that route, that was my original plan anyhow to sinew back this bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 02:11:52 pm »
...and full draw.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »
Nice bend Pat! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 09:21:00 pm »
Good looking full draw Pat and very nice handle splice, sinewing it will do the trick I think!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 03:03:19 am »
Looks real good Bud  ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 07:13:08 am »
whew talk about adapt and overcome. thats one beautiful bow!!!!