Author Topic: The good old, neck shot !  (Read 7837 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

The good old, neck shot !
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:09:02 pm »
In old litereature this type of shot was used quite extensivly, and with great results.

today it's frown upon, ...but I just look at the neck and all I can see, it a mass of vital vessels and tubes, making this a highly desirable shot in my opinion.

I never tryed it before, but if I have a chance I'm surely gonna take one on my next pig ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: The good old, neck shot !
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:17:29 pm »
Manny, There is lots of areas in the neck that are just muscle and fat. Unless you hit an artery, the wind pipe or the spine it will not be lethal. Chances are good that you will hit a critical area but chances are also good you won't. This is your call but a quartering away shot through the chest will have a better outcome most of the time.  Just my thoughts.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »
theres actually a very good chance of wounding the animal. lot of meat there. ive had a deer that turned and took it in the neck. cut the the throat wide open and still took some time to go down. the lungs and heart are the largest , easiest area to do damage to. and aside from the femoral artery they are the best place to put a sharp head into. the femoral artery is the  quickest way to kill. but its a complete crap shoot whether you'll hit it or not.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:43:26 pm »
Jamie, that is literally a crap shoot! ;D  I shot a deer one time and the arrow missed the rear
bullseye ( ;)) by an inch. Looked like someone poured a bucket of blood from me to the dead deer 50 yards away. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:45:22 pm »
I use a neck shot with my 30-06 ;D Yet to have one run ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 07:47:49 pm »
  i tnink if I  was going for it, I'd try to put one just below the ear at the base of the jaw.  Chris Cade shot one through the neck straight on and it bled out in 20 yards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:57:49 pm »
When I worked at the PD I saw a man that was shot in the neck.  It passed straight through and he was released from the hospital within hours.  :o
I think Jamie hit it right on the head when he said the "largest" vital area.  There are a lot of things we cannot control, why not increase the odds when we can.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:39 pm »
i also ways shoot for lung/heart its just bigger.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »
You talking Guns or Bows here???? If I am hunting with a Rifle...and I don't Hunt for a Trophy....that crap just goes against my Grain....I Hunt to fill the Freezer.....and I take Head Shots...100% of the time....I don't eat Antlers....and a 7MM don't tear up the Antlers anyways!! If it is a Bow....well thats a Horse of a different color....I always try for a Quartering Shot that will put you straight into the Vitals...with out Big Bones getting in the way....my favorite is a quartering away shot....but I will take a frontal too...straight through the Sternum
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:18:31 pm »
I am no expert , but have arrowed a few animals ... from my experiences a neck shot is one that should be avoided unless you are absolutely certain of your ability to hit the vital arteries... I once shot an elk at twelve yards with a recurve and six hundred grain arrows. the arrow stuck through her neck dead center.. she ran off and quit bleeding after about a hundred yards. I never found her and spent days in the woods looking. To this day I imagine someone seeing that elk walking through the woods with a primitive arrow sticking through her neck and cussing those damned bowhunters.. still makes me sick thinking about it...A lung shot will do it every time.. I promise...  good shot placement and sharp points will bring success, and awesome blood trails.. Hawk a/ho 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:57:21 am »
  I will take a straight on head shot, center of forehead, on a hog. They feed with the wind at their back and it is easy to get in real close on your knees.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:22:23 am »
What Eddie, With your Jeep? ;D

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:29:55 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:16:19 pm »
yeah rifle is different. leo hakola on flintlock wapiti shot a spike elk at 75 yards with a .54 caliber flinter and that bull ran probably 100 yards, he hit it through the neck and .54 is a good sized ball. but arrow, i would never do it. if i am close enogh for  ashot at the neck im close neough for vitals and thats the shot im gonna take.
Modern Day Tramp

kdub

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 01:17:07 am »
if youre talking shooting hogs with a gun, shoot em' behind the ear.