Author Topic: How do you cut slots for trade points?  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Mesophilic

How do you cut slots for trade points?
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:50:21 pm »
How do you guys cut slots for trade points?

Tried a bandsaw, hacksaw,  and coping saw.  I end up wandering and the cut veers to one side or the other.   I've  been able to clean the slots up a bit but without assistance my points don't point straight and true, and the slot ends up too wide.  I've been shimming and using epoxy for its gap filling properties and it works, but I'd rather do it right from the get go.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline osage outlaw

Re: How do you cut slots for trade points?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 02:55:01 pm »
I wrap tape around the shaft where I want my cut to stop.  I use a hacksaw and then needle files to clean it up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 03:59:07 pm »
I cut the slot with the bandsaw then flip it over and go through the same cut from the other side to even it up. Like Clint I also dress up the cut but I use sandpaper folded and refold if I need to get wider. I also like to start with a pre-tapered end. This helps me keep centered.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 05:20:48 pm »
PatB, do you do anything special to hold the shaft or align?  A jig?  When I use the bandsaw,  the side facing up usually looks good and centered.  Then when I flip it the other side will be way off center.  If I go back through the cut I'll often end up screwing up the side that looked good to begin with.

Thanks for the tips about  pre-tapering, that  might help out alot.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 05:55:16 pm »
Clamp the arrow in a vise straight up and with a sharp triangle file start filing in a notch. You can correct if you aren't going straight across. File until you have a "V" groove about 1/8"(maybe a bit less) wide and nicely centered. Now go to the band saw. When you feed the arrow into the saw the "V" groove kind of centers everything up. Hold the arrow a bit loosely so it can rotate and find the "V" groove.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 06:22:07 pm »
Cheese, I do it freehand but a guide will certainly help you out. Do you have the upper blade guide close to your work. If you do you shouldn't have much side to side blade movement so you'll get a better cut.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 06:32:32 pm »
I'm using a modified port-a-band...guess the right tool for the job comes in to play?   :o
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:13:32 pm »
try a hand saw or hack saw.   ;D

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 08:25:39 pm »
I use a hacksaw blade to start it and a pocket knife to shave it wider bit by bit. Check the fit, shave some more, sip my beer, and try it again.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 04:17:08 am »
Very slowly and carefully >:D

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 10:30:46 am »
I use a hacksaw blade to start it and a pocket knife to shave it wider bit by bit. Check the fit, shave some more, sip my beer, and try it again.
If you get up to twelve beers and it still doesn't work you are probably doing something wrong ;) ;) ;)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 09:40:00 pm »
Beer and sharp pointy things aren't so good a combo for me  ;D

I think next batch I'll  slot it before final trim length.  Cut, nock, and fletch once satisfied with the point.

This ought to give me some wiggle room.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:07 am »
I always drink beer slower when working on things, you're just busy. I have to keep the cans in my Shiti can cooler.  ;D
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Mafort

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 02:12:32 pm »
i use a metal a metal tube thats slightly bigger that my arrow shaft and cut a groove in the metal tubing thats straight and centered. i leave a 1/8th" wide bit of metal on the bottom so its not cut completely in half and i use that as a guide when cutting my slot for the trade points. just put in a vise and align it how you want it with the grain and start cutting.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 07:07:11 pm »
Slick solution Mafort.I like it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed