Author Topic: He Man Hinge Hater Club (HMHHC) - Who's with me?  (Read 10393 times)

330bull

He Man Hinge Hater Club (HMHHC) - Who's with me?
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »
Argh!

I just finished tillering (so I thought), a hard hitting Vine Maple Bow.  It bent slightly through the handle and had just a small amount of handshock.  Since I could not see anything on the tree, I had my wife take a picture so I could maybe find an imperfection causing the handshock.  And there it was, mocking me and spitting right back into my face.   >:(  In fact it was so obvious even in the tiny screen on the camera that I immediately looked at the limb and found the 3" section that had some suspicious grain changes.

Unfortunately since I had shot it ~35 times, the hinge was weakend beyond the point of repair.  I took it back to my bench and worked all around the hinge, would only made it worse and created a completely different hinge right below the lower handle.

So for now, after 20+ hours, it's dead and left for scrap.   :-[

So now...I call one and all who have been down this road bafore and say, Let's Unite!

Joe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: He Man Hinge Hater Club (HMHHC) - Who's with me?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:31:56 pm »
Nice form Joe and the boots are dandy ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »
Joe, the tiller looks fine to me.    Oh by the way, welcome to the club. ;) You ain't the founder by any stretch of the imagination! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

330bull

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »
Rotate the pic counterclockwise and you'll see it's more obvious.  And yeah I could even see a slight decrease in the limb thickness when I took a much closer look.  And I'm only talking about maybe .020" or less.  Man oh man what a difference that made.  I could have left it "as is", but I'm probably a little too OC to settle for less.  I'm sooooo close to making a perfect Vine Maple "Bull Buster" I can almost taste it...   :'(

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:00:17 pm »
i havent really had a hinge yet ;D famous last words :)

but the tiller really does look pretty good
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 10:22:06 pm »
 Joe, I would agree with pat ,it's looks good. Yes it dose look to be bending a touch more on that bottom limb but I think your being very critical on yourself. As for looking for the hitting the perfect bow That might prove to be very elusive. Havent seen anyone that was completely satisfied with a bow.
 How about some more close ups looks like a sweet bow. And if ya got it shootin decent ,have fun with it. ;D
 Ps. Find the narliest bend up stick that you can and build a bow with it. ;D It will help you get over the critical eye senario. ;D ;D Or els you'll just go into denial like me. :(  Keenan

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:36:26 pm »
Nice SWAMPERS....Huh Dana!!!!!!!!! Could pass as a Yooper...if He didnt talk!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:50:11 am »
  If it's the bottom limb, can't tell by the picture, flip it over instead of rotating the picture. :D The bottom limb usually has the most stress.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 01:52:20 am »
Joe, I think you've become unhinged. LOL. Get it unhinged? :) Come on that tiller is right on! I've had enough hinges to know one when I see one. Nice job. Your intervention worked. BTW to avoid hinges take long strokes which often go beyond the target removal. Take off a LITTLE wood and check tiller often. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 02:04:23 am »
I think that you are losing it....you need to get some Drugs for that OCD....there is nothing wrong with this Bows Tiller.....I would only hope to get mine that well done....look at it Joe...it's dead on

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:09:24 am »
 See there Joe You have a have dozen top notch bowyers tell ya that your being to critcal on yourself ;D  Like we all said It's an awesome bow get over it, Or I will send ya something nasty and crooked ;D;D  Keenan

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:16:02 am »
               I think that someone that critical of His Bows would at least be wearing some Top Notch.... Woody Armor Muck Boots....
                                                             instead of them K-Mart Green Swampers!!!!!!!!

>:D  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Just A Joke Son!!!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:24:09 am »
Hey Joe If you dont like the bow you can send it to me.  ;D Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 02:55:04 am »
I think everyone is right.  You got yourself a mighty fine bow there with great tiller.  Remind me sometime to show you what a real hinge looks like.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 02:56:40 am »
Oh yea, how about some more pictures. Grip tips and all that good stuff.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah