Author Topic: Paring Ladder (shave horse ladder)  (Read 2849 times)

Offline gfugal

Paring Ladder (shave horse ladder)
« on: August 17, 2018, 08:57:42 am »
https://youtu.be/4a-qev2J8T0

For those who don't have a bench vise, a shave horse, a workshop table and shave pony, or whatever, this may be an option for your draw knives. I ran across it today on Youtube. I had never heard of it before.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Paring Ladder (shave horse ladder)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 08:59:47 am »
Simple but effective!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:33:08 am »
A neat way to clean up staves, or make kindling!  I think I would want a leather apron working a draw knife that way, though.  Not sure why he worked the rungs that way, though.  A good,  taut lashing jog should be sufficient, unless it is to hold the notch better.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 11:11:25 pm »
Greg,

Offline gfugal

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 11:26:07 pm »
But I do eventually make a shave horse (nothing quite compares) I probably will go with a compact design like this.

https://youtu.be/9o8rX0DCm-4
Greg,

Offline khperkins

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 05:42:11 am »
Some great ideas.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 07:11:30 am »
I have stripped a lot of bark and sapwood off osage by putting one end of the stave at the base of a tree and the other end on my chest, I would lean forward and go to work with a draw knife. This was green wood right off the stump and cut very easily. I was also much younger and osage cutting crazy at the time.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 11:48:33 am »
I have stripped a lot of bark and sapwood off osage by putting one end of the stave at the base of a tree and the other end on my chest, I would lean forward and go to work with a draw knife. This was green wood right off the stump and cut very easily. I was also much younger and osage cutting crazy at the time.

Interesting! Wouldn't that hurt your chest? When I debark staves I just lean it up against the wall or a fork in the tree, and kneel as I pull down, taking of strips of bark off that way. But this method doesn't allow you to get the very tips as you can't pull down past the ground.
Greg,

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 07:11:10 am »
I put a pad on my chest and do the very ends later in a vise.

This was not ring chasing precision work, this was hogging off sapwood and bark quickly when I had a lot of osage to process and get sealed with shellac. I did this draw knifing in the woods next to my yard.   I chose this place because I didn't have to clean up the mountains of bark and shavings I produced like I would had I done the same work in my shop.