Author Topic: Yew Recurve 43#@30"  (Read 12418 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Yew Recurve 43#@30"
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 06:22:16 pm »
Beautifull bow! I love the profile.  I can never seam to get my hooks that sharp.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. What kind of problem are you running into? have you tried boiling the tips? That's been my 'go to' lately and hasn't failed me yet.

Offline Aaron curtis

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 07:27:48 pm »
Incredible.   Very very nice work.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 08:36:21 pm »
Another fine bow! You definitly have a style all your own.
Well done
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »
Beautifull bow! I love the profile.  I can never seam to get my hooks that sharp.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. What kind of problem are you running into? have you tried boiling the tips? That's been my 'go to' lately and hasn't failed me yet.

I use dry heat mostly,  Ive tried steam with results that swing both ways. But I haven't tried boiling yet.  Ill have to see how that goes.  Ive heard its the way to go for sharp bends.  Thanks!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 10:00:08 pm »
Always a pleasure to see your art  Weylin. Your finish work is striking on this one. I hope some day to get my hands on my first yew stave. Congrats on another beauty bud.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 06:09:47 am »
Beautiful bow in all aspects, Very well done as usual.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 04:22:49 pm »
  That is such gorgeous wood.  Nothing out there like that color.   Beautiful work. 

Now, can I ask one question about your tiller?  I am NOT criticizing, because you are obviously a man to learn from.  But, I'm curious.

Given an identical side profile, your bow seems to bend a lot less near the handle (say first 25% of each limb) than one I would make from my available woods (which would be elm or similar, and sport wider/flatter limbs.)

Is that just something yew lets you get away with, given good tiller?  Is it because the bow has more parallel width limbs than a white wood might require?  Is it just a design you like that works well with recurves?  Or, is it for some other design reason (like how Badger says less woking limb= faster bows unless it causes set)?   Did I miss anything? 

Offline Weylin

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 12:12:41 am »
  That is such gorgeous wood.  Nothing out there like that color.   Beautiful work. 

Now, can I ask one question about your tiller?  I am NOT criticizing, because you are obviously a man to learn from.  But, I'm curious.

Given an identical side profile, your bow seems to bend a lot less near the handle (say first 25% of each limb) than one I would make from my available woods (which would be elm or similar, and sport wider/flatter limbs.)

Is that just something yew lets you get away with, given good tiller?  Is it because the bow has more parallel width limbs than a white wood might require?  Is it just a design you like that works well with recurves?  Or, is it for some other design reason (like how Badger says less woking limb= faster bows unless it causes set)?   Did I miss anything? 

Thanks, Springbuck. I'm happy to have a conversation about tiller. I'm learning too. Every bow I make is a learning opportunity. I think I'm shy of getting too much bend in the middle of the bow sometimes. I'm afraid it's going to make the bow shocky and slower shooting. I try to get it just right but I do think I have a tendency to err on the side of stiffer fades sometimes. I think I need to push the envelope a little more on some of my bows. Thanks for the feedback. I've been really happy with the performance on these bows. I wonder how that change in tiller would effect that one way or the other. There are always trade offs. what you gain in speed you may be paying for in smoothness, durability, etc. There is a lot to balance out!

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2018, 07:43:51 pm »
wow great looking bow and I like the art work and how it frames the snake skin!

Offline Bojahu

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 12:00:16 am »
MAN! Your finishes on every bow you make are outstanding! I can never get a bow to look that pretty. How much time do you spend finishing  bow after it is shootable?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:35 am »
MAN! Your finishes on every bow you make are outstanding! I can never get a bow to look that pretty. How much time do you spend finishing  bow after it is shootable?

Thank you! The time invested can really vary. I've become a lot more efficient as I've repeated certain techniques. When I first tried them out it was much more painstaking and tedious. I learned my lessons about what to do and not to do. I pay close attention to what other people have done and try to learn from them. When I see a particular element of a bow that really stands out to me I will study it and ask questions. Some people to look out for in respect to finish work are John Strunk, Simon (AKA Simson), Gordon Ferlitsch, Keenan Howard, James Rempp, Carson Brown, and Bryce Ott. I'm sure there are more that I have been inspired by too.

I don't settle for something looking marginal. I've torn $100 snakeskins off my bow because the tint of the dye underneath wasn't right. I've scraped off hours of painting because something was off. The few times that I did settle for something it bugged me every time I saw the bow. To have a bow that really stands out you can't neglect any element. If your finish is good but the handlewrap sucks then the bow wont look great. If your overlays are on point but the snakeskin is ragged all people will see is the ragged skin. For me it's been a combination of learning a handful of really useful tricks and then not giving up until it looks like I want it to.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 10:37:32 am »
Missed that one!
Great bow again! Your tillering is awesome.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 09:05:35 am »
Mn is that sexy! Great attention to detail bud. I like this one better than the other one.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2018, 08:40:44 am »
Beautiful bow always good work

Offline Jbell

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 11:59:21 am »
 Stumbling on to your youtube channel and seeing your beautiful bows has inspired me to start creating bows again! Bowbuilding to me is more than bending stick, its an expression of ones artistic abilities and a great way to sooth the soul and i can see that you put your heart and soul into these bows.  Nice work on this yew bow! Cant wait to see your next project Weylin! Oh and a big thank you for putting out your content on the web for me to find!
Justin Blunt