Author Topic: Carbon arrows  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Mounter

Re: Carbon arrows
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 11:10:17 pm »
That’s the theory I’ve always used with my other trad or wheel bows dc. I do sound test, tp a few times after a hard impact. You can hear if there’s a concern. Never shot them off my prim. Bows tho, I see no reason why my opion  would change, except if shooting off a bare hand.  Carbon splinter would suck.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 12:39:00 am »
DC
Yup, bent carbons do exist. Of course, he did give them to me when we were shooting even though I knapped him a knife >:(

CrescentWalk

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 11:41:41 am »
I don't know if they are more durable when compared to Bamboo but I would choose aluminum arrow's over carbon arrow's any day of the week. Aluminum arrows give me much better arrow flight over carbon arrow's and are unlikely to break on you or splinter. I shoot wooden arrow's exclusively now and have found that carbon gives me worse arrow flight over aluminum and wood.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 11:59:21 am »
From what I read, the hunting carbons tend to splinter on impact with bone and make a large impact area of contaminated meat.  I don't have personal hunting experience with them.  Jacie did a "Robin Hood" with one of her's and it split more than half way down the shaft!  I use wood or aluminum.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 12:17:48 pm »
Most carbon tubes like arrows and fishing rods are made with mostly longitudinal fibres. They have good bending strength, as long as they're not bending over something, but if anything starts a split it doesn't stop. If an arrow were to hit a bone and skate a bit sideways it would load it in a way it isn't designed for and it would split. I think wrapping the ends of carbon arrows like we wrap nocks and points would be a good idea. I used to use CF arrow shafts for booms on my model yachts and I had to wrap the ends with thread soaked in CA to stop them from splitting.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 01:23:45 pm »
From what I read, the hunting carbons tend to splinter on impact with bone and make a large impact area of contaminated meat.  I don't have personal hunting experience with them.  Jacie did a "Robin Hood" with one of her's and it split more than half way down the shaft!  I use wood or aluminum.
Hawkdancer

I've probably killed over 25 deer with carbons and never had one splinter.  I'm sure it could happen, but I've never seen it.  I've put them through ribs and shoulder blades. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left