Author Topic: Carbon arrows  (Read 5571 times)

Offline DC

Carbon arrows
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:16:52 pm »
Are carbon arrows much stronger/durable than bamboo? How about cheap box store carbons? I've been shooting a lot with my shooting machine and when the arrow hits the target it bends quite a bit. I thought maybe I would go over to the dark side and buy a couple of carbons just for testing purposes. I never thought I would say that out loud :D :D

Offline aaron

Re: Carbon arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:34:54 pm »
I shoot GT trads and i foot the front with aluminum shafting. I wrap the nock with sinew. I have never broken one.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 07:26:10 pm »
A friend of mine bought a bunch of carbons from Wal-Mart when they put them on clearance for $1 each.  He stripped the plastic vanes off and put feathers on them.  He said they shot fine.  Carbons are almost indestructible.  I shoot them out of my FG bows and sometimes selfbows if no one is looking  :D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:52:50 am »
Bought one many years ago and set it up for flight shooting.  It didn't go any further than my wood flight arrows, in fact some of my wood arrows shot farther.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 08:43:37 am »
Are they or can they be as light or lighter than wood. One of the problems with the machine is getting a light arrow that won't break when it hits my target.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:53:31 am »
Most bare shafts will weigh between 7-10 GPI, depending on the chosen spine and brand. Heavier shafts are tougher shafts because the walls are thicker.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:56:56 pm »
Carbon may be perfect for your application. Foot the tip end with aluminum shafting and you'll have a very structurally sound arrow. Like Pearly said a higher gpi is usually a thicker wall and therefore less prone to breakage. It will also allow you good weight parameters with field points weighing from 80 to 300 grains.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:28:18 pm »
Question:  Why do you shoot a carbon arrow out of a self or backed bow?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 07:00:50 pm »
It's just for my shooting machine. I have it set up in my shop so the arrows fly about four feet. They hit the target at some strange angles and my bamboo arrows were bending so far some have broken. I thought the carbons my take the strain better. I actually had the machine set up so the arrows hit the target dead straight but then I put in a different bow and it went sideways.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 08:16:23 pm »
Oh ...your shooting them out of a machine....maybe I should ask why are you shooting from a machine?  Do you hunt or shoot 3D with a machine.  Machines can be tooooo consistent.  Shooting a bow is not that.  I like to match the equipment.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 08:25:27 pm »
I have a chrono attached to the machine.I get nice consistent results. Shooting by hand i get poor results.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:11 am »
I got a couple of carbons out of the scrap bin at the range. Tidied them up a bit and they work great. The tips are rusted in so I have to soak them a bit so I can adjust the weight.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 11:49:26 am »
Scared to stand to close least you be struck by lightning.lol just kidding DC. I know their not indestructible. When I first started making bows my cousin gave me two. I stripped off the plastic vains and put on turkey feathers. I was a pretty poor shoot and hit the OSB wall behind my target. Drove the insert and target point right inside the shaft. I'm thinking they where probably cheap carbons since my cousin gave them to me.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 07:49:48 pm »
Well according to my friend who shoots trad, they are harder to break but if they get scratched or bent he throws them away. With wood, sandpaper and some heat fixes that in a jiffy

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:04 pm »
I thought carbons were either straight or broken, I didn't think there was a bent :)