Author Topic: Fleshing sturgeon with a powerwasher?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline aaron

Fleshing sturgeon with a powerwasher?
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »
Has anyone (keenan) ever done this? Any tips?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Fleshing sturgeon with a powerwasher?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:23:11 am »
Aaron I've never done Sturgeon. I've taken Bark and cambium off staves. I've partially done a bear. I can tell you it gets to be hard to hold hide. It gets blasted every which way and wants to flip over. I don't know how hard it is to scrap a Sturgeon skin. It might be easier to scrap then power wash I really couldn't say. Sorry not much help. If you send me a couple Sturgeon skins I'll do some experiments though. ;)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:11:29 pm »
Thanks, Bjorgg. after some trial and error,lI have found that scraping is easier. the powerwasher did not have enough oomph to fully flesh the skins. it was 3100psi and I had a rotating turbo nozzle. My method is this: nail tail end to a curved wooden beam with a groove down the middle. Scrape with dull drawknife and dull small hatchet head. wash and rinse. tack out to dry flesh side up. clean off oils with rag and acetone. The beam is about 6 feet long and propped up on a wall, so I can do it standing up. The groove in the beam (sometimes) allows the scutes to sit down in it, making scraping this delicate area easier.
It may have worked better if I had done it the same day the fish were caught.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 05:39:11 am »
Anytime Aaron. Don't forget the offer stills stands if you want to send a couple my way for me to experiment with. ;) sounds like you got it figured out. I suspect your right about scrapping them sooner making it easier. I probably would have tried soaking them in some cold soapy water then scraping as you discribed. Look forward to seeing what you do with them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise