Author Topic: Basket of Arrowheads - REVISITED  (Read 5821 times)

Offline RickB

Basket of Arrowheads - REVISITED
« on: June 09, 2018, 12:28:11 pm »
I was at the local flea market a few weeks ago and gave a young couple $6.00 for this woven kudzu basket full of hundreds of arrowheads. I could see that many were missing tips/bases but I still saw some that were perfect or near perfect. I ended up with about a gallon bag of decent ones worth framing and displaying. All these points came from an estate and were collected locally long ago just a few miles from where I live in SC. All are made of mostly local rock - quartz, quartzite and rhyolite. Many ages are represented. The oldest point I found in the basket is what I believe to be a transitional Hardaway-Dalton (10,000 - 9,000 BP) which is broad, notched with basal thinning and grinding on both sides - this one has a beveled edge. Latest would be many woodland era stemmed and triangular points (500 BC - AD 1100). Photos below - quarter in basket for size comparison. Rick B

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:37:02 pm by RickB »

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Basket of Arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:25 pm »
What a deal, 6 USD for about a hundred arrowheads! Or is that a typo ???

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:40:58 pm »
Ryan, that was 6 US dollars for several hundred points. They weigh 12 pounds.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:49:01 pm »
You got one heck of a deal.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:03:08 am »
Wow you did good/ Basket too? :)
Zuma
Want to double your money? >:D
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 03:15:06 am »
  Wish I knew the story behind each point and the hands that wove the basket...
                                                                                                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 05:05:52 am »
Zuma. The basket was included in the deal when I bought the points and would be fairly recently made. Points were still dirty and dusty from when they were originally found and put away - they had never been cleaned. I took them outside, placed them on some screen and rinsed them off, then brought them inside and cleaned about half of them in soap and water with a toothbrush. There are many bifurcated points in there also, most missing tips. BTW, the couple had asked ten dollars for the lot. I countered with five and we settled on six. Rick B
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:09:34 am by RickB »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 05:25:38 am »
Glad you got them Rick. I'm thinking their in a better place now.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:08:31 am »
That's really cool.  I'd lay them all out in a big display on the wall.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 10:30:36 am »
That was a great score. Lots of history there.
 Where in SC were they found? Most of my artifact collection cane fro coastal SC near Hilton Head. There is no natural stone in that part of SC so every rock we found was an artifact of some sort.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RickB

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:39 am »
That was a great score. Lots of history there.
 Where in SC were they found? Most of my artifact collection cane fro coastal SC near Hilton Head. There is no natural stone in that part of SC so every rock we found was an artifact of some sort.

Pat, I live in Columbia. We have the Saluda River and Broad River come together here and form the Congaree River - plenty of native american activity around the 3 rivers. Lots of quartz here and that's what most of our points are made of. Looking through many points that I personally found during the 60's and 70's and even now, around 80% are made from quartz and the other 20% is divided between chert from the Savannah River area and rhyolite from SC but mostly from North Carolina. Rick B

Offline bowmo

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 11:13:16 am »
Wow...around here they try to charge like $30 per point haha.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 09:24:59 am »
That is a steal!

Offline RickB

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 11:17:26 am »
Here are some spread out on my den floor carpet. Quarter in the middle somewhere for size. Rick B

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:35:55 pm by RickB »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 11:28:22 pm »
Wow!  That is more like stealing!, but you never know hat can pop up at an estate or garage sale!  One man's junk or stuff is another man's treasure.  You got a treasure!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry