Author Topic: Lake Trout Skins?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Lake Trout Skins?
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:30:24 am »
I've never used fish skins of any kind, but have been thinking about it. The guys I know that go fishing on the big lake here have been loading up on Lake Trout. They certainly would be big enough to back a bow. Has anyone used them? Any tips? I'm sure I could get a bunch.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Lake Trout Skins?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:03:56 am »
My only tip is to keep them out of reach from your dog  ;D lost a good koi skin that way

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:37:07 am »
My only tip is to keep them out of reach from your dog  ;D lost a good koi skin that way
ill keep that in mind Ryan
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 09:03:27 am »
They would make good backing but I don't know how their pattern will transfer. Some fish skins will hold their patterns but some loose the pattern with the scales.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:33:59 am »
I guess that's what I'm wondering Pat. I'm wondering if anyone has used them and if so what they look like. Would really love to see some pictures if they did. I don't have local snakes that are suitable and just looking for something different that might look nice. Not really needing anything for strength for backing or even moisture protection.
Bjrogg

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:11:03 am »
Oh yeah, that too, you’ll probably lose most of the color. Perhaps if you kept the scales on?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 10:15:18 am »
Ryan I have zero experience with fish skins but most everyone I ever talked to about them remove the scales. Actually individually. I seem to remember Simson saying that he left scales on though.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:20:35 am »
Leaving scales on can lead to problems like scales coming loose later under the finish or just discoloring so IMO it is better to remove the scales before adding the finish..
 I have a Jay Massey bow that is sinew backed osage with a halibut skin covering. I'm sure Jay used the fish skin for moisture protection but otherwise it is pretty bland. As far as a hunting bow it makes good sense because it has a dull, drab appearance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 10:46:25 am »
I saved some brook trout skins to try....by the time I got home from fishing, the color had gone and they were gray. I think blood flow has a lot to do with their color, so if you can figure out how to back the bow with a live fish you'll have the problem solved.
Eric

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 11:16:43 am »
I've used brown trout skins off a big fish and they kept there color quite well. I have a feeling that the older the fish, the better the it will keep the color. Just speculating, but it makes sense to me.

Keep us posted.  (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Aaron curtis

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:18:15 am »
I live in Michigan and spend quite a bit of the summer chasing trout and salmon on Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.  If the skins would work you could always airbrush the color back into them.   Maybe I will save some skins from my next trip.  Atlantic salmon skins would look cool too with the black x marks on them.

Offline Lip

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 11:24:41 am »
Tried it. I wasn't nice to them putting them in detergent for days and even mineral spirits to make sure the fats where out of them. Scales are gone but the pattern is still there, somewhat translucent and brown/grey. I can post a picture but since photobucket don't work anymore what do you guys use?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 02:49:45 pm »
Thanks everyone. Lip I think most people are using Imgur. Don't tell Photobucket but I'm still using them. After I get a IMG I save it to my phone and crop it there. Then I post it from my phone library. It's still been working for me but I don't know what will happen if I get a new phone. I probably should figure something else out.
Bjrogg

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »
   I thought I was the only one that ever used halibut skins. I caught some 66" halibut 1 year in Oregon, the skin was as strong as raw hide.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 01:00:26 pm »
Dawn dish soap is the ticket for deoiling fish skins.an air brush is fun to play with on faded fish skins also.2 colors of grey and a brown will make a great fade out pattern.