Author Topic: Osage sapwood bows  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Mounter

Osage sapwood bows
« on: June 10, 2018, 09:37:05 am »
So I have a bunch of staves that have dryed for over two years. Most I was able to just pull the bark off leaving a pristine back. No checking at all. Seems like a a lot of extra work to chase a ring on them now. Guess I’m looking for pro’s an con’s either way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage sapwood bows
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:24:17 am »
A good bow can be built from osage sapwood but it would be a better bow with all heartwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 05:57:49 pm »
What Pat said...unless you don't have enough heartwood.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 12:52:01 pm »
I made 3 with sapwood back they all shot well and are all still shooting ,they have an appealing look with the two tone color to boot.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:05:50 pm »
My best performing bow to date is a sapwood backed osage sapling. I left 3/16" worth, maybe 2 rings. The rest is heartwood. Great bow that I gifted to stix. Like yew, the contrast is gorgeous after a year or two.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:03:54 pm »
Pearl.... the key word there was probably a small diameter second growth "sapling" stave. If it 's not a sapling stave , I would still take it down to a heartwood ring....if you have enough width in the stave. JMHO
DBar
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:37:39 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:23:50 pm »
Sapwood becomes heartwood so the closer you get to the heartwood  the stronger the sapwood.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mounter

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:27:01 pm »
THx for the reply’s. I need to learn how to post pics again, since the photo bucket thing. I have two staves really calling to me right now. One way or another I’m making a hunting bow this year.  Trying to get back to mojam again this, it’s been too long and only 2hrs away

I have extra staves just in case😎