Author Topic: Fumed Hickory HLD/Molly Hybrid  (Read 3855 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Fumed Hickory HLD/Molly Hybrid
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 01:07:43 pm »
Thanks Will. I wanted to try something different.

Thank you Greg. I know what you mean about hickory taking set. I think it may have to do with it's tendency to retain moisture. Thanks for reminding me I forgot to include an unbraced pic. I'll post one later on today.  ;)

I hear ya Marc. I'm still not completely sold on the design in every "high-crown" situation. There are woods that do great with a high crown (elm comes to mind). Additionally, these bows are kind of a pain to make IMO. There are so many factors to account for that do not yet have a tried-and-true standard to go by (proper depth, "wall thickness," best length-to-width ratio, ect.) I think most of the failures I've had were due to "walls" that were too thin and not rounded enough.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 02:29:21 am »
that is a stunner!

I really love the look of those hollow limbs, especially how they go from very deep at the handle fades to shallow at the lever fades! even if it did mean a few broken bows in the process.

Offline M2A

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:08:57 am »
Great lookin bow!

Always interesting seeing your work. No 2 are the same and this one holds true to that. Looks like a lot of hard work to make that nice shooter, grats. Mike   

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 06:10:09 pm »
Thanks NZnuka. They do have a cool look about them.

I appreciate it Mike. I'm pretty motivated by trying out lots of different designs, finishings, ect.

Here's that unbraced pic I forgot to include. It started off pipe straight, so I think it took about 1/2-3/4" set. Pretty sure that's where she's gonna stay cause I've shot it at least 100 times.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 06:31:23 pm »
Very nice upstate

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 06:18:17 am »
I keep going back and looking at this one.  The finish is really nice too . What is the finish ?  Pardon my ignorance --- What is fuming ??

Very attractive bow,
Greg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 07:08:47 am »
Thanks Aaron.  :)

Greg, the finish is teak oil. Fuming is when wood is enclosed/suspended in an air-tight container w/ ammonia. The fumes from the ammonia react w/ tannin in the wood producing a change in color. I got the idea from Simson.

I do it by hanging the bow inside a pvc pipe that has rags soaked in ammonia on the bottom. Thanks for checking out the bow! 

Nigerian Proverb