Author Topic: Best way to pull out reflex  (Read 7453 times)

Offline DC

Best way to pull out reflex
« on: June 11, 2018, 12:51:59 pm »
I reflexed this Doug Maple on the caul I normally use. I steamed and then heat treated it and instead of relaxing a bit it took the exact shape of the caul. It has 8" of reflex. I'm sure a bunch of it will pull out. I plan on deflexing the handle but I thought I would try to get some of the reflex out first so I have a better idea how much to deflex it. I've exercised it about 50-60 times and it hasn't changed. Do you think that a steady strain(much like bracing it) for a few hours would assist in pulling out some reflex or should I continue exercising it?

Offline Badger

Re: Best way to pull out reflex
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:23:15 pm »
  Some will pull out when you tiler I imagine, I don't think it is a good idea to just strain it out all though with that much reflex you would still have a good shooter if you maintained 1/2 of it.  I am really impressed with your work here lately. I bet Mark is honored you chose his styles to model after. Mark is not an easy act to follow.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:45:11 pm »
Thank you very much for the compliments but I think I just chose to copy the right guy :D.  I just thought that if I could somehow pull some out some of the reflex I wouldn't have to second guess the deflex. But now that you mention it the bulk of the pull-out does come later in the tillering. Maybe I'll try tillering it a bit more before I deflex. I'm just kind of clueless as to how much draw weight I will lose per degree of deflex. On another note, do you think that the draw length on a deflexed bow is extended equal to the amount deflexed. Like if I deflex the tips back 1" does that extend the draw length by 1"?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »
You might be better using heat to remove some of the reflex. I've done it a bit with naturally reflexed staves. With that much reflex you can over strain the bow just getting it to brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »
How about making the deflex close to the handle, that you already mentioned, rather steep? That would result in a neet R/D shape, don’t you think?

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
Good thought Pat. There seems to be  a bit of a paradox here, if you just put in a little reflex it will pull out but if you get stupid about it, it stays :D
Torsten- I plan on splicing the handle and putting some deflex in. I prefer spliced in rather than steamed in. It just seems easier to tiller without the extra bend.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 03:25:38 pm »
That's some aggressive reflex you got there.  I agree you don't want to strain the bow to relieve some of it. 

"On another note, do you think that the draw length on a deflexed bow is extended equal to the amount deflexed. Like if I deflex the tips back 1" does that extend the draw length by 1"?"

I would be interested to see the answer to that question as well.  Seems that there's too much going on to give a rule of thumb like 1" deflex equals 1" extra draw, but I'm sure guys like Marc who have a lot of experience with deflexed handles can estimate. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 03:44:52 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 03:36:12 pm »
I agree with Badger D.C. Your knocking out some pretty awesome bows.
I think if you asked Ed he'd tell you to reverse string that baby lay a couple courses of sinew on and put it by the wood stove for several months. Then you could put some horn on the belly and tiler it out. Just kidding but sure looks like the start of one of Ed's composites.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 04:13:09 pm »
If you placed belly side up and barclamped in the middle and heated appling heat and slowly tighten the clamp it would work I think ?but I've never worked dm.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 05:28:58 pm »
I don't know what that species of Maple is like for strength in tension but I made several like that many years ago out of Elm, BL and HHB.  That amount of reflex is manageable, just a bit tricky to tiller

Here is a picture of the first Elm bow I ever heat-treated, this is the one I wrote an article on.  You can see that it has a fair amount of reflex

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 06:21:59 pm »
Looks nasty Marc
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:27:06 pm »
Is that the finished bow Marc or did some of that reflex pull out? It is, as you put it, a fair amount :D :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 06:40:48 pm »
I'd like to read the article on that one.
Bjrogg

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 07:44:41 pm »
"Burnt Offerings"?  I remember that bow/article  Marc...
I think sinew and that profile could be magic..   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 07:57:14 pm »
Sinew and osage is magic.....
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking