Author Topic: Following the grain on eastern hophornbeam  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Following the grain on eastern hophornbeam
« on: June 12, 2018, 06:15:53 am »
I cut a few eastern hophornbeams last week, and noticed a peculiar thing. Two of the trees split very straight, which is great. But when I looked closely, the split did not follow the grain of the wood. What is up with this?

Is hophornbeam like other woods and I have to follow the grain, or is it resistant enough to splinters that I can ignore the surficial grain and lay out a bow to follow the straightness of the stave itself?

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Following the grain on eastern hophornbeam
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 06:39:59 am »
To a certain extent, it is possible to make a bow with runoff, if it’s not too bad. Can you send a picture please?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 06:55:17 am »
Eric,

When you remove the bark and are ready to layout the stave, begin by drawing your center line by following that tip to tip grain. It does not matter what happened previously.

Like this:

http://traditionalarchery101.com/layout.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:56:37 am »
Hi Ryan, I will try to do this later.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:00 am »
I may be wrong but I think following the grain on diffuse porous like hhb,elm and maple is less important than ring porous like Osage and locust.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:31 am »
Wood tends to split following the general run of the grain rather than what you may see superficially in the outside of the tree.  Each year the growth rings are added they may be inconsistent in how they are laid down.

That's why some HHB will split as clean as Maple or it may be as tangled and erratic as Elm but on a more condensed scale due to smaller rings on average.

It is very tolerant to the external layers running off.  You can straightline a pretty spiralled stave and it will hold up fine. Or not bother to follow  minor snakiness.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 10:20:39 am »
Thanks PatM, you have emboldened me.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 10:47:42 am »
I've made a quite a few HHB and it seems like what's on the surface isn't necessarily what's down a couple inches. I usually reduce belly some before I lay out bow. Then let my draw knife follow where it wants to go. I've also just cut them totally disregarding grain and gotten away with it. Does seem fairly tolerant to that. Seems ungulations and guffy knots are more trouble than run off but maybe I just got lucky. I've actually only had one HHB break and that was from someone improperly stringing it. Most of them were pretty conservatively designed though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 11:27:40 am »
I agree with BJ. The only HHB’s that have failed for me had big knots in working portions of the limbs. I lost two that way that i should have cut up for firewood.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:40 pm »
Bushboy, Elm is ring porous.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer