Author Topic: Skeeter getter..  (Read 13413 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Skeeter getter..
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:54:51 pm »
I kept at it until i finally finished one without breaking it.. now when the bugs come out I will be prepared.. skeeter huntin here I come... Hawk a/ho

[attachment deleted by admin]
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Bishop

Re: Skeeter getter..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:04:11 pm »
Hawk
lol....im still making those same size points....i know exactly how you feel....my wife makes jewelery so i have been giving them to her to make necklaces, now she is asking for more...im sure ill have plenty to give her... ;D
Bishop

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:08 pm »
shucks,must be nice to squitters that small,around here you use your truck to kill em.lol

just kidding,nice little point,wish i could make one,maybe someday ill have to try
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:38:39 pm »
That's funny Hawk ;D. Nice little point there for sure though. I've seen points small enough to hide behind a dime and their flawless and thin - don't know how they did it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:30:49 am »
That's cool.  What kind of pressure flaker did you use?

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:32:01 am »
Antler for the big stuff.. and a piece of copper with an antler handle for the small stuff...Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:34:09 am »
Hawk you going to make arrows and a bow to go with it? Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 02:47:46 am »
I'm working on a bow and arrow to match that point. Hold on to it Hawk and I'll send them on when they are done. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:13:25 am »
That is about how big mine turn out also, have yet to get something thaT WOULD WEIGH IN AT 125 GRAINS OR MORE. Nice point tho.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:35 pm »
 That there would perforate a blue grouse just fine.Mount that into a hardwood foreshaft and mount that into a nice light arrow with some high cut fletching and there you go ! Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 03:33:07 pm »
Pat , I should send the arrowheads to you ... I already get into trouble for shooting arrows in the house ;D ;D >:D... Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 04:03:42 pm »
Looks like a good point to me Mike.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 01:38:44 am »
Hawk's sketter point is typical of what people here call "bird" points.  The truth is they are most often found around buffalo jumps.  The Indians used big wood shafted hammer stones to bash in the skulls of the down buffalo.  Lots of times the buffalo was too dangerous to get close to so they would use a tiny point that would cut through the thick hair and hide with a long arrow shaft.  All the point had to do was go through the lungs.  Also in Klamath Lake in Oregon the Indians use floating reed mats and tiny points and hollow reed arrows.  The idea was to shoot a diving duck when it surfaced and if you missed the arrow would float.  Well, lots of the arrows split and sank a few feet below the surface.  The lake is not clear water and for ten thousand years the arrows floated to the down wind coves.  No telling how many millions were lost that way.  They had lots of obsidian and reeds.  The best artifact museum in the country is located there.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 10:49:19 am »
Nice point, Mike. Here in western NC we find a lot of little Mississippian-phase points. They're just tiny sharp triangles of chert that would fit on a dime. I assume that they were used to kill  deer, bears, and people, since that seems to be about the only point type from that time period, and the mounds from that phase are full of deer and bear bones. The stockaded village sites indicate taht it was a time of war, too. It's a long way from here to a source of good stone for knapping, so it makes sense to maximize number of points per pound of raw material.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Bishop

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 08:07:28 pm »
that does make a lot of sense.......
Bishop