Author Topic: Why sharp matters  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Why sharp matters
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 11:19:12 pm »
Width can definitely be a problem. I shot a buck before and the arrow deflected 15° after hitting the first rib. Went in maybe on the 6th - 7th rib and exited on last rib almost hitting the liver. It was direct broad side and the arrow turned after hitting the rib.

Maryland is Min. 7/8" and steel also

What was the width of that broadhead?

AZ, NM, and OH all have the 7/8" width law as well.  I tried to do some research and so far can't find anything that gives a reason for such consistency across many states. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:08:22 am by dieselcheese »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 12:02:14 am »
He might be a doctor but I have to disagree with this one. Having cut myself on many objects over the years, I always found that a cut from a sharp edge heals better - I've slashed myself with razor edges and simply closed the cut to seal.  Conversely a ragged cut takes forever and hurts like hell while recovering.

How long something bleeds versus how quick it heals are two different things. A razor sharp edge does heal faster, but bleeds for more than a jagged cut which doesn't bleed as much but takes longer to heal.
Eric

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 06:58:45 am »
The primary reason so many states use 7/8" width as their minimum is because Bear Razorheads were the most popular manufactured broadhead sold during the timeframes that standards were being proposed.  Check Razorheads and they are 7/8" wide.  Just a bit of history.
A file sharpened steel broadhead is my favorite method.  File sharpening with a quality mill bastard file can be done easily without having to use any other equipment.  52 years of archery hunting and many animals on the ground over those years works for me.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 07:01:57 am »
    +1 High-Desert...The guys in the trenches know the skinny on a stropped, hair flaking broadhead...I hate shaving with a dull razor...Experience out ways "speculation"...I have also had some points that Butch Stone made from obsidian years ago that would flake the hair of my arm...Any body that condones hunting with a dull point, needs to stay home and shoot target points...

Bottom line: Sharp matters...
                                              Don

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:55:30 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 06:43:39 am »
Same here jimmi t s  and another piece of History, that is what Fred Bear use to sharpen his heads. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 08:45:00 pm »
So right, Pappy!  As did Howard Hill.  And after checking my math it has actually been 54 years of archery hunting.  WHEW!!

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 06:39:41 pm »
The primary reason so many states use 7/8" width as their minimum is because Bear Razorheads were the most popular manufactured broadhead sold during the timeframes that standards were being proposed.  Check Razorheads and they are 7/8" wide.  Just a bit of history.
A file sharpened steel broadhead is my favorite method.  File sharpening with a quality mill bastard file can be done easily without having to use any other equipment.  52 years of archery hunting and many animals on the ground over those years works for me.

Razorheds were 1 1/16"
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman