Author Topic: Question about side to side heat adjustments.  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Vgo750

Question about side to side heat adjustments.
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:30:36 pm »
Hello all,  I have this Osage stave that needs a pretty good side adjustment to bring it in line.  Below is the rig I tried to use to get some movement in the limbs.  Now I have personally done similar methods and have seen videos where prop twist or thin flipped tips will move with minimal (like 3-4 minutes) heat and some weight on the end and you can just watch the stave move.  I heated the circled area for a solid 12 minutes and got no sideways movement.  I had, I dunno how much weight, 4 clamps in the bucket for weight.  Is the reason because there is so much limb width (1.5”) that it needs steam or just more dry heat to get movement?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Question about side to side heat adjustments.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:56:34 pm »
You are trying to bend too much limb. I put a post on my work bench to isolate the area I want to bend. I also put up to 50# of lead in my bucket if I am heating thick stuff, 25# is usually enough.

You could put a block of wood right up against the area you want to bend to support and isolate the area you want to bend.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:11 am »
First step is to get the wood as thin as you can. Get it close to the size/thickness its going to be. For side bending my bow for lining up tips i do not like the weight method. You will have more precise line ups if you heat ,place in vice and just use your hands to bend it straight. I heat the spot to be bent,i then clamp a string to my center line on one side of the stave. I then place in vice and stand at end of stave looking down towards the other end where string is attached. I hold the string on my center line where i am standing and pull the bow side ways until your string runs down center as close as possible. I do all this with the back facing up so i can see my lines on shape lay out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 01:47:13 pm »
I'd wait and brace the bow first. Looking at the "S" shape of the stave the string might track right over the handle so you won't have to straighten it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:50:57 pm »
I usually wait until I am done floor tillering.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/fixtwist.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:00:38 pm »
  +2 on what PatB said...
                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;