Author Topic: Juniper (whoops I mean incense cedar) run!!! WOOHOO!!!!  (Read 4774 times)

Limbit

Re: Juniper (whoops I mean incense cedar) run!!! WOOHOO!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:40 pm »
Incense cedar is an excellent bow wood on par or better than juniper since it has the same compressive abilities of juniper, but none of the defects commonly found in juniper. It tends to grow straight rather than twisted and the trunk is largely branch free in older trees. The growth rings are tight like juniper and the density is about the same. That does not look like the incense cedar I've used before here in Taiwan, but it doesn't look exactly like Western Juniper either. There tends to be little to no distinction between the sapwood and heartwood on incense cedar (or at least it is very gradual as it changes) whereas juniper is normally quite clearly defined in most species. Western Juniper is more brownish while eastern varieties and RMJ have the purple heartwood. One easy way to distinguish the two is smell. You can smell the leaves before harvesting or the wood after harvesting. The smell is clearly definable between the two. Incense cedar smells sort of like sandalwood and cypress mixed together. Juniper smells like gin in the leaves or berries and well, the wood is hard to describe. Either way, there are plenty of examples of it being used to make bows the same as you would use juniper or yew in a short, sinew-backed bow and from experience, it works the same, so count yourself lucky. It is one of those not-so-often spoken of treasures because it is very restricted to a certain geographic region. I believe the main reason for using limbs compared to the trunk traditionally was ease of harvesting and curing as well as tighter growth rings. Perhaps compression wood found in the limbs was also desired.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 12:41:40 am »
Well shoot, looks like you just became very lucky ;D

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 02:22:48 pm »
Do you have any pictures of the leaves? Juniper and incense cedar leaves are distinctly different.
Eric

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 02:51:13 pm »
Where did you cut?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 09:31:20 pm »
Bryce, Klamath County Oregon.

High Desert, here's a leaf pic

Ryan, yes I'm pretty lucky!!!

Limbit, thank you for making my day! Now that I'm cutting into it I can see the difference from juniper, but it's close.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 09:39:56 pm »
Here is video of the best piece:

https://youtu.be/6ppS-eSt8io

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 10:34:15 pm »
oh yeah, that's incense cedar for sure. I look forward to seeing what you will do with it. Keep us posted
Eric

Limbit

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 02:29:41 am »
Yep, that's incense cedar. The region you are in is one of the few areas in the US that has it growing. You can try just about any style of bow with it, but like I said, it works best in the same applications as juniper. I made a boo-backed long-bow out of it long before I realised much about the wood and it was nice, but I found it needs to be kept wide, not narrow because the wood is so soft that it'll move around on you quite easily. It kept wanting to change string angle because the tips were too narrow and the wood too soft. Be careful to laminate some wood or horn on the knocks too since the wood is soft and will chip right off if not careful. Like juniper, it dries quick, but doesn't check much if any.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 11:18:01 am »
I feel like I'm among the luckiest alive

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 02:22:01 am »
Here we go. It's going to be a 62" ntn, sinew-backed Hupa type. I know they were shorter than that, but this beautiful piece of wood fell in my lap and I already cut it down from over 72". So 64" it is, 1¾" wide at the handle, 2¼" wide at mid-limb

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 10:33:08 pm »
I love incense cedar. It was the favorite wood for the Miwok hook nocked bows. I have made quite a few replicas. The trunk wood is even lighter than rocky mt and Utah juniper. It is just as good compression as juniper and like juniper is weak in tension. A heavy sinew backing makes the best bow. The branches are better as the rings grow much closer so the wood is heavier. I prefer the top side of the branch as it starts with a heavy reflex. Just use the unbroken ring under the bark for the back. The limbs make a beautiful sapwood back with darker heartwood bellies. The trunk will make a great bow too and it's easy to find lots of straight trunks.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 10:45:51 pm »
Thanks Chuck! I'm quite excited to have stumbled onto this treasure. It sure is cooperative in the rough stages. Next to my roughed-in juniper staves, it shows off how straight it is

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:50:12 pm by Taxus brevifolia »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 07:25:06 am »
Bryce, Klamath County Oregon.

High Desert, here's a leaf pic

Ryan, yes I'm pretty lucky!!!

Limbit, thank you for making my day! Now that I'm cutting into it I can see the difference from juniper, but it's close.

Hmm hard to run into that stuff with all the juniper that’s so prevalent in that area.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 02:57:16 pm »
Yes one more factor that led to mis-ID