Author Topic: Finding obsidian or other knappable lithics Utah Idaho border?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Archeryrocks

So I live in Northern Utah, and currently don't have the time or resources to make it out to glass buttes Oregon although it is on the list of places to get to... I have been reading studies on sources of native american obsidian points, and I have found some general areas where obsidian might be found or was found before, but I can't seem to find any specifics. does anyone have any experience finding obsidian or other knappable rocks in southern Idaho/ northern UT or even Wyoming? If so any direction for places to look would be helpful thanks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:19:09 am by Archeryrocks »

Offline Zuma

Re: Finding obsidian or other knappable lithics Utah Idaho border?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 07:50:12 am »
Yellowstone is loaded with obsidian. I have found it down river ( Snake) from Jackson Hole (Alpine George)
There is also Some good agate in those areas.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 02:26:56 pm »
there is supposed to be big deposits down by delta.  I keep meaning to go look for it.  That would be closer than yellowstone.

Offline UtahChippewa

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:50:18 pm »
Try this link

https://geology.utah.gov/popular/places-to-go/rock-mineral-collecting-sites/the-rockhounder-obsidian-in-the-black-rock-desert-millard-county/

I’ve never been over there but have received some nice obsidian from near there.
Good luck
Knapping...
If you’re breakin’ You’re makin’
If you’re bleedin’  You’re succeedin’