Author Topic: A bending accident that came out great  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

A bending accident that came out great
« on: June 17, 2018, 01:44:52 pm »
I was bending some static tips on a newly designed form that just didn't work. I got out my old hickory form and redid the bend. About halfway though the bend my hickory form split, what to do?

I looked at the form and thought I can put the form sideways in my vise, the vise will hold the form together and bend the stave at the same time, I gave it a go.

Turns out this is a really good way to make the bend, tightening the vice jaws makes the bend and the vice pad puts all the pressure right where a bend usually cracks.

I haven't taken the stave out of the form yet but I expect great things and no cracks.

Offline DC

Re: A bending accident that came out great
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 02:50:34 pm »
Quick thinkin' :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 04:14:19 pm »
   That looks good, and that was quick thinking. I was just sitting here thinking how fast we have to move when making that bend. No time for mistakes.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:55:47 am »
The stave came out of the form in perfect shape except for a bit of sideways dog leg. I had soaked the tip for 24 hours in a pan of water prior to the bend on the advise from a bow maker friend who makes 50-75 bows a year, he says he rarely has a limb crack during a bend. I think he is on to something as 50% of my bends crack some with steaming alone.

The limb was still waterlogged so I corrected the sideways dogleg with my heatgun and my vise.

I have the other limb soaking and will bend it exactly the same way today.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 07:15:15 am »
   That looks good, and that was quick thinking. I was just sitting here thinking how fast we have to move when making that bend. No time for mistakes.

Steve I bought a garment steamer for a couple dollars at Goodwill, I put a plastic bag  over the area I want steamed and wrap tape around the bottom with the nozzle in it and start steaming. After a few mins I put it in the form while still steaming and when it's ready I bend and clamp, no hurry no worry, bends fast and easy and no rush because it steams the whole time
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹