Author Topic: Gar skin  (Read 788 times)

Offline Morgan

Gar skin
« on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:14 pm »
Ok, Iíve done a search of the site and can find nothing definitive. Can gar skin be used as bow backing? Paddled a creek yesterday to sight fish for carp but they wouldnít bite. The longnose gar were in thick many over 5í. Iíve cleaned hundreds of these fish that Iíve shot for the table. The skin is hard and stiff. Canít imagine the outside ďscalesĒ coming off, so Iím wondering if it can be put in a bow back with no ill consequence? Would love to hear from someone who has tried.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Gar skin
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:14:46 pm »
Never tried them myself, but there's no reason you shouldn't. Let us know how they work.  (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:46 pm »
I've never held a gar in person but I would think that the tough skin and the thick scales would add weight to the limbs and hurt performance. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:44:07 pm »
Looks like it's tough stuff
googled gar skins and the results show nice knife sheats and boots
for bow it's maybe on the heavy side but i'd try it

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:45:53 am »
Does anyone know if you can remove the hard exterior scales from the skin? Iíve never tried, but the ones Iíve cleaned it sure seems to be connected to stay.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:29:19 pm »
Morgan, I don't know anybody who has done this, but I remember discussion about this from years ago on the "stickbow.com" forum.

The general idea I remember was just that......the skin is tough and stiff enough, but gar scales are large, thick, and bony, and are partially imbedded in the skin itself making them very hard to remove.   I'm sure there is a way, but how to, without damaging the skin itself, I don't know.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 05:59:38 am »
Morgan, I don't know anybody who has done this, but I remember discussion about this from years ago on the "stickbow.com" forum.

The general idea I remember was just that......the skin is tough and stiff enough, but gar scales are large, thick, and bony, and are partially imbedded in the skin itself making them very hard to remove.   I'm sure there is a way, but how to, without damaging the skin itself, I don't know.
Youíre gonna need a surgeon at this rate >:D
You donít know desperation till youíve split a stave with screw drivers.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:01:45 am »
Everything I can find about prepping them for leather goods is with the scales on. Iím going to try it and see what comes. Iíd like to get a spotted gar long enough as they have a pretty pattern, but Iím probably going to be stuck with the more plain longnose as Iíve never seen a spotted gar long enough. Iíll take tater to a little creek close to the house thatís loaded with spotted and shortnose gar. If he can catch one, Iíll put it on a bow back for him as an experiment.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 03:16:45 pm »
  You know what would be badder than bad?  Find a nice big fish, skin it whole from the head back, including some fins, and make a QUIVER with the scales on!  An armored quiver!

Maybe a cool scaled handle wrap? 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 04:47:54 pm »
  You know what would be badder than bad?  Find a nice big fish, skin it whole from the head back, including some fins, and make a QUIVER with the scales on!  An armored quiver!

Maybe a cool scaled handle wrap?

Already had the quiver in mind bud. The gar that are usually in the little creek down the road werenít there today. Iíll take a trip to pryor creek Wednesday and get em for sure.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 03:46:43 am »
You could always accent the non working parts of the bow with the skin.  I think fish skins are really cool on a bow.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 04:21:07 am »
A gar quiver would be cool.  Especially if you could incorporate the skull somehow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mounter

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 07:34:39 am »
IM Not sure about post links to other sites, but there was a build along on another archery site

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 06:00:34 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  (-P 

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:57 am »
take pictures
many piuctures  :OK

)F(