Author Topic: Loop size  (Read 1834 times)

Offline DC

Loop size
« on: June 14, 2018, 04:40:05 pm »
Just curious, how big do you make the loops on your strings? I make mine about 1", measured on the inside with calipers.

Offline Hamish

Re: Loop size
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
DC, That sounds right for most longbows. If I'm making a double looped Flemish, I make the lower on a bit smaller, it doesn't need to be moved in the stringing process, and the tighter loop helps keep the string on the bow when its unbraced.

For many historically accurate Indian bows you would need to widen the loop because of the wider tips.

Short recurves with siyahs and string bridges  are usually made with large loops. I have little actual experience with those designs, but I assume the larger loop functions better. Someone who knows better will chime in.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 06:52:49 pm »
I'm not talking about 4" loops for siyahs, just your regular bow. I know I can make them any size I want but I was just curious what most guys use.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:08:33 pm »
I’ve never measured. I make it to match te now. I’ll twist up the upper loop until it’ll just start slipping down the limb and the lower loop until it slips onto the nock. Once I stretch the string and everything settles they are just loose enough to slide freely. So the loop size changes bow to bow.

Kyle

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:06:28 pm »
  I make mine the same as you DC, they stretch out just a tad when braced. I don't measure but when I braid about 2" I fold it over and make the loop.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:22:12 pm »
As small as I can.  Just enough to slide down the limb when the bow is unbraced.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:52:15 pm »
OK I twist mine for 1 1/2". I make string keepers that slip up inside the loop and sometimes they're hard to slip in. I was thinking of making them bigger but then I'd have to figure out the string lengths again.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:14:31 am »
Yeah that's something to note.  Change your loop length and now your overall string length is different. 
I just eye it and make it a few twist smaller than I think I need.  My loops always stretch bigger. 

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 03:12:00 pm »
IT all depends on the bow.  I like 'em to sit tight in the string nocks, but slide down the limbs easily when unstrung.  Wider vs skinny limb tips......I just kind of make them to fit the bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 06:22:32 am »
They are made to fit. The bottom loop small enough to stay put and the top loop large enough to just slide down the top limb for stringing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline shamus

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 09:51:58 am »
Bottom loop is a timber-hitch. Top loop made to fit.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 10:25:51 am »
I had so much trouble getting the string length right when I finally got a method that worked I didn't want to change anything so I stuck with 1" loops. I don't like to twist the string too tight so I'm a little fussy on the length. I can't get a timber hitch to hold, even with all the mods. I'm blaming the FF but I'm really not sure.