Author Topic: String Tracking using Gravity...  (Read 8182 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: String Tracking using Gravity...
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 09:32:10 pm »
Mike,
          Glad it worked out for you...I talked to a couple other folks and they had good results also...It hasn't missed for me yet...Thank you for taking the time and effort to report back...

That is a killer looking character bow you have, great work! I'm jealous of the future recipient...
                                                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 07:00:20 am »
I think that's a great idea. One could use different sized screw eyes until full brace height is achieved. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 08:37:20 am »
This is a good thread. I've always read and have always tried to make the string line up with the center of the handle.  But the more I think about it, why wouldn't you want the string to stop at the center of your proposed arrow position, not necessarily the center of the bow?  Or would that cause torque in the hand? 
I guess in a perfect world you would have the arrow center pass in perfect alignment with the center of the handle and string.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 07:07:42 am »
Bayou Ben,
                 This system is only to show string tracking...Your proposed arrow position would be a matter of choice...I am a right handed shooter and prefer mine to be slightly left of center...Just enough to allow for the roll off my fingers bringing it in a straight line travel and allow clearance of the arrows paradox...Many variables will affect arrow flight...Again this is just a system to show string alignment/tracking only...
                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 08:50:56 am »
So if you would instead of making your plumb wire point to slightly left of center, you make it point all the way to the arrow (in your case on the left side of the bow handle probably close to 1/2" to the left of center), would this be a bad idea?  This would in my mind reduce the amount of paradox, and make for a truer sight picture and a truer transfer of energy from the string to the arrow.  I'm not saying this is right, I more or less want an opinion as to why this is wrong so I can put my mind to rest on the subject.  Sorry if I'm not being clear..I have an overthinking problem. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 09:29:24 am »
Ben,
         The paradox will flex/wrap around the bow...You have to allow for that as a finger shooter...String tracking to far to the left will cause me to shoot to the right with bad flight...Remember the string rolls to the left off your fingers before traveling forward...I like to be 1/8" to 1/4" max left of center with my string track...To reduce paradox you would need a stiffer arrow which would make tuning more critical...You may get many different opinions on this...So many variables with these all wood primitive bows...This is my basic set up and JMHO...Hope this helps...

Don

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 10:56:03 am »
Very informative thread!  Did you make the wire hook or ifs that a store bought item.  This idea should help a lot of us newbies!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 01:08:29 pm »
Don,
Thanks for the response.  Yeah I wasn't thinking about the string rolling off of your fingers.  I'm going to try this out on a bow I'm about to bring to brace....I need to try a D-bow like you make one of these days.  Your bows look so well balanced.  Looks like a joy to shoot. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 02:44:52 pm »
     Thank you Ben...Please give me some feedback on your progress...

Jerry, that was made from a 1/16" brass rod, I noticed that M2A / Mike's looked threaded on the bottom, so you may be able to purchase them also...?

Don

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 07:01:17 pm »
Cool, I'm gonna have to try this also.  Thanks Donald

Offline M2A

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 07:41:22 pm »
Hawkdancer, I used the brass stem from toilet bowl flapper valve. I cant tell you what the real name is. but its the part between then handle and screws right into the rubber stop. When I saw what Don had I figured that's what it was and I knew I had one still in the package in my shop. Just opened up the eye enough to get over the string. You should be able to find at any hardware store for a buck or two. Its a bit short at full brace so takes an extra minute to line things up, but effective so don't think I'm going to swap it out for anything different for now.

Thanks for the kind words Don! If I can get it to bend like one of yours Ill be happy  :)

Mike       

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 05:44:32 am »
  Thanks Mike and great idea...If you don't want to make your own you can find a "rubber toilet tank ball" or an "eyebolt" for under 3$ at your local hardware store...As Mike said you will have to open up the circle just enough to fit on your string...I will check multiple times at brace through out the entire tillering sequence...

Don

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 11:02:53 pm »
After I check my brass rods, I may be off to the Ac hardware!!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry