Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 104505 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Alone again.
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2020, 05:52:07 pm »
Anyone else think the musk ox was on its last yr up there? The reason I ask is the lack of fat on it. I thought they would have some fat. But I have never even seen one so idk.

I was thinking like Gils to. It was alone. Didn’t have fat going into winter? I don’t know Musk ox either but I’m wondering to. Probably would have been feeding the wolves in a month or two

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2020, 05:37:44 am »
Could have been , but either way it was a big score for him. Way better than squirrel  :) :) :) That might just get him through if he can keep it safe.  :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2020, 07:02:08 am »
When the temps get really cold you need high fat foods. When temps hit 30-60 below 0 Protein we eat gets burned like dry basswood. Not sure where these folks are at but if they in artic (which I doubt) cuz I see trees in pics. Funny thing about the Artic is the coldest weather is always windless days and nights.

Seen is 55 below with no wind up near Bethal, AK then wind suddenly starts to puff a bit and your jacket thermometer jump to zero degrees is 10 minutes time and your starting to sweat. You get a few drops in your undergarments in artic and your dead by morning. When they find you curled in the fetal the down side looks like frozen side of beef. That's the reality of living day in day out in that environment. The only thing that burns up there is what floats in the ocean after ice out from the Bearing Sea.

Those Inuits would prolly do this little challenge with a tshirt on. Most dont put a jacket on til its about 15 degrees and windy. Whats hard on some is a vacation to others. It's tough out there and it's all relative I reckon.
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2020, 01:23:27 pm »
Could have been , but either way it was a big score for him. Way better than squirrel  :) :) :) That might just get him through if he can keep it safe.  :-\
 Pappy
[/quote

Agreed Pappy, he was visibly disappointed it didn’t have fat. Still extremely happy for the protein. I think he would probably like the bear for the fat if he could get it. Not to mention he wouldn’t have as much fear of it stealing his ox.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #274 on: July 23, 2020, 01:39:11 pm »
Was it last year the guy got a moose. It was very lean and he didn't win. I don't think he was hungry but he lost a lot of weight.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2020, 01:56:33 pm »
Was it last year the guy got a moose. It was very lean and he didn't win. I don't think he was hungry but he lost a lot of weight.

Actually I think he did win
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2020, 02:57:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure they are in the Northwest Territory.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2020, 04:03:01 pm »
Last season the winner killed a moose and a wolverine.  He was an interesting guy.  I listened to a podcast that had him as a guest.  He had lived with fur trappers in Russia I believe. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2020, 04:13:05 pm »
they are on great slave lake again.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2020, 06:27:49 pm »
The guy with the moose won, had the wolverine not eaten his accumulated fat he would have been in pretty good shape at the end. He definitely had the skills.

Offline DC

« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2020, 11:24:48 pm »
My memory ain't what it used to be.

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2020, 04:27:26 am »
he's starving and he cut wood in such small pieces  :fp

Offline JEB

« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2020, 05:05:06 am »
The female with the dark hair will be next to exit.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2020, 05:34:56 am »
Very good last night, I think Roland will make it, not sure about the others, they aren't half way yet and things don't seem to be going so well for most,, that gal that got the 4 rabbits might just make it also,she is still holding her head together pretty good it seems.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2020, 06:54:41 am »
Watched last nite. Pappy got me into it.

Barring injury theres no question who will win. Fuel, field skills and being ati year Yuker (winter over in AK).

Show is like i imagined: highly produced, big budget, with ships, UAVs, RFDI track tags ( Sat based). So its basically entertainment like survivor without deceit, lies, distortion and the failings of the human condition.

Dugouts were and are great shelters. We used em, 1800’s line riders lived all winter in them. Still early up there. No ice on lake, dont need snowshoes yet. Prolly early october. Saw A minus 30 down bag, in 17 degree weather youd sweat out in that.

You can see most these folks except one can not separate the fact they volunteered for survival  .  Cant keep the will to live in their frontal lobe . Dwelling on what left, what they did to themselves. Some over come this some curl up and die.

Read the book about the The Ship Endurance trapped in Antarctic ice in 1914-17. How the men made it after such a time. Prolly the greatest feats or survival in human history.
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW