Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 106251 times)

Offline DC

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2020, 11:16:04 am »
+1

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #316 on: August 21, 2020, 03:49:27 pm »
Might be a spoiler

I finished the series. I was pretty sure at least one would make it to 100. Wasn’t sure if anyone else would but I certainly respected their efforts. I’m still not sure which rules I prefer. I do think that the 100 days made people try harder from the beginning. Knowing that they had to last 100 days to get the reward. I kinda missed the wondering who, when and why would tap next. I found both sets of rules interesting and still have some questions about multiple winners.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #317 on: August 21, 2020, 04:25:07 pm »
That blonde would have given the winner a run for his money if she hadn't had frostbite. She was settled in for the long hall.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2020, 06:39:29 pm »
Both of those ladies should be proud of what they did. They really fought hard.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #319 on: August 21, 2020, 07:52:11 pm »
Watched last half of one program and it was quite obvious who would get the cash.

Once youve wintered over  in AK or Northern Cunnuckistan you have skills lower 48 folks never use.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2020, 12:04:06 pm »
good season
very expert participants
the gals did very well
sure the 100 days goal is hard.
the first seasons were starving endurance races. last seasons are more about getting enough food to set a solid camp

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2020, 06:20:10 am »
It was an interesting finish.  I kind of wonder if the pulling of Callie was a sexist thing, I hope not.

Another point of interest for me was how at the beginning it claimed that the contestants were harvesting in accordance with local native tradition.  I wonder if they got permission from the locals to harvest this way or if it was all political, it would be nice if it was permission from the locals
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JEB

« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2020, 07:10:43 am »
Mark I don't think pulling Callie was sexist.  Her toe was bad and another toe was starting to be affected by the cold. In her post interview at the end of the show she admitted that she was still having trouble with her toe when it got cold. I am sure the medical staff did the right thing . But again, she was really settle in mentally and I think she would have beat Roland  had she not had frost bite.

Offline HH~

« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2020, 07:22:09 am »
Frost bite is not just something you get. Its something you have when you ignore what the conditions are doing to your body. Maybe she wanted the $ more than here toes? Whose to say if she had made that choice or that it was wrong? Was hers to make, right! You can live without a few toes. Frostbite does not kill you fast.
Why should medical team pull you for frostbite of a few toes? They had to include that prospect in their risk assessment of doing a cold weather survival reality show. And. . . if that was going to be the case, either issue cold boots or do a Jungle show.

What folks will do for $ and giggles.

Alas, I did watch 20min one evening.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2020, 09:10:40 am »
I've had frostbite before, several times actually and it's not pleasant.  One time I got my feet wet in the winter and I was a few miles from home.  When I pulled my boots off there was ice in my socks, not fun.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2020, 01:35:56 pm »
I have seen knee caps frozen black. InsteAd of doing PT to keep body temps up all night this Yardbird went fetal on knees in fighting position. Laziness is mostly the cause in my experience.

Ive marched my men on snow shoes one night off coast of USSR all night in sub artic temps as we would have had multiple Cold injuries that night.

Bad thing is most lower 48 folks dont even know they are getting body parts frozen!

You get wet in Artic you not gonna have to worry about frost bite. If you dont act fast your dead.

Shawn~
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:14:19 am by HedgeHunter »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #326 on: August 23, 2020, 04:03:41 pm »
I have seen knee caps frozen black. InsteAd of doing PT to keep body temps up all night this Yardbird went fetal on knees in fighting position. Laziness is mostly the cause in my experience.

Ive marched my men on snow shoes one night off coast of USSR all night in sub artic temps as we would have had multiple Cold injuries that night.

Bad this is most lower 48 folks dont even know they are getting body parts frozen!

You get wet in Artic you not gonna have to worry about frost bite. If you dont act fast your dead.

Shawn~

The black only happens a few days after, seen that before.  That's when body parts fall off.

Getting wet can be bad, depends how far you are from heat.  In my case I was carrying a 30# Beaver I had shot on my back, how I got wet, so I had to stop half way home and make a fire.  No lost body parts but there was nerve damage.  This was 40 years ago, not something I would do now.

Many people have no idea what -45 feels like.  I've always preferred cold to heat, I just don't care for anything below -30 anymore

Kielyn lives close to the same latitude as I do, maybe a little more south.  I could tell her mentality was not northern survival mode right from the start.  She was coming from a white, well off family upbringing, that decided to do the northern thing.  You see plenty of those up here.

Still the girls shamed a lot of the guys

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #327 on: August 23, 2020, 06:31:31 pm »
Seen 30 wt oil jug cut in half with a fighting knife at -60. Looks like taffy.

Smart to dry off by fire quick like. No wood in Arctic!

Shawn

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:14:53 am by HedgeHunter »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2020, 05:12:13 am »
It turned out about like I thought from pretty early on, he had the skills for sure.You could tell it wasn't his first Rodeo. I was hoping the girls would make it and i Think Callie would have made it if not for the frost bite, they were both tough as nails for sure. Good show and enjoyed watching it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #329 on: August 26, 2020, 08:44:40 am »
The time I worked in -48 all day I ended up with frostbite on my big toes and left cheek under my eye. Like Marc, when I took my boots off in the truck my socks were iced over. I had walked into a ditch that morning on the way to the rig that had filled up with snow and didn't realize how much snow had gotten in my boots. I ended up with nerve damage also and every time it gets real cold my left eye waters real bad and my toes sting.
 that was also the first time I saw hydraulic oil freeze and all of my pens and markers froze and wouldn't write.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?