Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 106862 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2021, 09:46:36 am »
Off topic but about tough guys; Gil Mag calls me often to chat, that guy has been in some of the worst places on the planet. I told him he needed to write a book, he said me might; yesterday he told me about being on some kind of logistics team in the Himalayas, moving mostly at night by himself and placing caches of supplies for the next group to come up, He said he made it to 21,000 ft. without supplemental oxygen.

He said his best birthday present ever was waking up on his 30th birthday with such an incredible vista surrounding him way up in the mountains, he said he could see K-2 in the distance.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 09:50:38 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2021, 09:52:14 am »
Not that hard to patch a canoe when you are surrounded by conifer trees

I thought about it but wont hot resin melt the tarp?

HH we all have taken note that you do not like the show.
I feel that keep saying that over and over add very little to the conversation.

The resin doesn't have to be that hot to use.  Birch bark canoe makers apply the pitch with their bare hands
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2021, 10:33:06 am »
Gil lives 5 min from me. When youve run with the big boys chasin booger eaters worldwide most yer adult life you just dont see things the same as 99% of people. Guess it comes with living that way Eric.
Life is sure gud now. Lost more than i care to remember in some shithole and for what? Ahh, being young with Gustov and a good radio. Things you can get done!
All about perspective Ranger.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2021, 11:27:37 am »
The resin doesn't have to be that hot to use.  Birch bark canoe makers apply the pitch with their bare hands
A bark canoe is something i'd love to make.
Made a small model once.  Making a real one is another story. Dont know if I'll ever get the chance.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #364 on: June 28, 2021, 09:16:49 pm »
A bark canoe is something i'd love to make.
Made a small model once.  Making a real one is another story. Dont know if I'll ever get the chance.

I have a 24" diameter birch tree near my house that could easily make a 16' canoe.

It surprises me that no one has ever made themselves a spear for defense, something at least 6' long with a fire hardened point.  Seems to me it would come in quite handy against a possible bear attack within or outside of their shelter.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #365 on: June 29, 2021, 04:45:21 am »
It surprises me that no one has ever made themselves a spear for defense, something at least 6' long with a fire hardened point.

Last season one of the contestants (the one with the wolfs pack at his shelter door) made a spear.
this season it would sure be worth the effort to make one especially for inside shelter use.
when they are outside they are constantly limited by all the filming stuff they have to carry
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 04:50:22 am by GlisGlis »

Offline HH~

« Reply #366 on: June 29, 2021, 08:59:12 am »
They get filmed. That's purty obvious.

HH

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #367 on: June 30, 2021, 05:19:50 am »
It is not obvious for me.
I guess they should have regular contact with medical staff, probably also with people taking away the recorded stuff and bringing new batteries for the devices (even tough that contact could be avoided)
I also accept that there could be a heavy video editing (scene selection and order of) to make the story more appealing but I do not see evidence of external crew filming (except at deploy and rescue)
We have a member, OrganicArcher that participated in season 7 that could clarify that.
What have you seen or do you know that induce to think otherwise?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2021, 07:54:11 am »
I don't see it either. I talked to Keith at the Classic and he said it wasn't except for entry /exit and of course any emergency's .I feel sure they add a few clips of snakes , bears and such as they do with most any of these kind of shows you watch but they are really on their own unless they call for help or just check in. Cool show either way. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #369 on: June 30, 2021, 10:04:03 am »
Seemed to me that a guy with a heart condition just wasn't thinking clearly to want to go, recipe for disaster.  I'm surprised that they even allowed him to go.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2021, 03:12:49 pm »
Yes, im sure with one good chace to arrow some large game to keep you fit yer filming yourself draw down on the animal off ground. Im mean i like lookin at Cunnuckistan green water too but im a realist not realitiest. Cmon man! Dont be a dog faced pony Soljah!

I like show as much as Orange County Choppers. I realize they Hollywood amped OCC prolly less than this thing. It was good and so was Jesse James on HistoryDiscovery. Not tryin to pee on the History Channel Panther Party just keepin it in perspective. Its all gud until til get mortared or T72 main gun fire in my book.

HH~

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #371 on: July 01, 2021, 05:24:32 am »
that's why many shot scenes (big and small animals) look recorded after the real kill.
they shot the prey and after that they film the missing sequence for the show.
In my opinion that's quite evident but I'm a notorious dog faced pony Soljah

Offline HH~

« Reply #372 on: July 01, 2021, 08:19:52 am »
Yer comin around Glis. Not yer talkin Hollywood. When yer starving do you think you have time to set up or rather Stage hunt scenes? Or do you go cut the warm kidneys and liver out and get some warm iron rich food? Lets agree that its good Thurs nite High ball entertainment, reality based eye candy. Give you a face, a story, and you pick yer underdog and ride him or her til hunger and cold start scratching the backbone from the inside. Then, the ol Sat phone comes out.

Think about it. If you call base camp and they come in two hours, how far are they away? across lake. Maybe they have several camps to access to Reality game show contestants as they are layed out on the ground.  If that is so they must have a purty big footprint. Flying in, boating in, etc etc. If you really need a jump on the Game, why not just do an 48hr Op on the camp, get what ya need and pack back to yer hooch.

Seen it many many times. When yer doing 20-22hr Ops for weeks on end with one meal a day it will take you down a rung. That's with no shelter and nothing but what on yer back and in a ruck. The Idea that your doing this to yourself and can tap any time is what is very hard for the weak of heart. I literally have run thousands of men thru this training. After awhile you can see very quickly under duress who can function, fight, lead and win and who cant. I have seen sh!t that'll boogle yer mind at 0300hrs on a hit in the Mts or desert. Most men have no comprehension what they are physically capable of and often its what is or is not between there ears that wins the day, the battle, the war.

Its a game show. Perspective.

Hedge Out~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #373 on: July 01, 2021, 09:32:49 am »
I always wondered about all the talking on hunting shows, I thought their deer were a lot dumber than N Bamma deer that would be over the next hill if they heard a mouse squeak.

One guy fessed up that they don't make a sound during the actual hunt and re-shot the "kill scene" with all the dialog later.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #374 on: July 01, 2021, 11:05:21 am »
I've been following along with this discussion and I have friends that are big fans of the show as well.
For me though, all these "reality" show/contests remind me too much of that movie "The Running Man"...  ???