Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 106852 times)

Offline PaSteve

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #525 on: June 23, 2023, 09:27:52 am »
Age...not she.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2023, 12:08:50 pm »
I haven’t seen latest episode but I have to agree with your assessment Steve.

#1 has to be food. Along with 2,3,4 and 5.

Even when doing other things paying attention and doing things to procure, preserve and store food as a multi task process.

I think some people would just love to go somewhere like that and build a shelter. Kinda like kids building a fort. I can certainly understand that but food has to be priority.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #527 on: June 25, 2023, 05:21:10 pm »
Ya food would be my #1 thing, then a good shelter, it wouldn't take long for me to cry uncle without something to eat. Some put on a lot of weight and maybe that helps but I don't think man is designed to live of fat reserves like some animals are. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2023, 05:10:40 am »
It's a delicate equilibrium
Food is for sure number 1 (and 2 and 3) but i guess that a good shelter could do alot
Even more than protecting from cold and beasts it could be a strong mind support when things get hard

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #529 on: June 27, 2023, 04:04:08 am »
just saw episode 3
Man I'm good at choosing winning candidates  (lol) (lol) (lol)

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #530 on: July 05, 2023, 03:12:29 pm »
just saw episode 3
Man I'm good at choosing winning candidates  (lol) (lol) (lol)

I'm surprised Lee went out that fast, I figured him for a grinder.  Just got his shelter done and pulled the pin, he was a skinny bugger though...

I'm also surprised how much of the game and fish that is wasted. If I were in this thing, I would be eating everything but fur, feathers and scales.  Some aren't even eating the skin of the grouse!

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #531 on: July 06, 2023, 08:51:46 am »
I think that some arn't very well rounded in survival skills.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #532 on: July 09, 2023, 09:41:16 pm »
I haven't watched the latest couple seasons, but I've been following the discussion here with interest.  Most of us are taught in survival training (even if it's just hunter safety class) that shelter is #1, water is #2, and food is a distant #3.  That's because in normal, modern circumstances, survival means staying alive for a few days until help arrives, and most of us could go at least a week without food and be none the worse for wear.  So staying warm and hydrated is enough.

In a long-term survival situations that would change, though I guess it depends on the environment and the weather.  For most people on Alone, food does become the deciding factor.  I think a lot of this is because they start out in the late summer, when starvation is going to become an issue long before exposure.  An the other hand, a few strong contestants (Roland from season seven springs to mind) have put a huge amount of time and energy into building an excellent shelter, then had good luck finding food later on.  But how many contestants have built amazing shelters then starved out?  Roland made it because he took excellent advantage of a unique opportunity.  Not many contestants are given the opportunity to shank a musk ox, even if they had the ability and nerve.  Food is ultimately the deciding factor. 

It was interesting watching Clay Hayes' recaps in season eight.  He mentioned several times that one of the primary difficulties with finding food is the inability to relocate to a more game-rich area.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #533 on: July 11, 2023, 07:57:25 am »
Just caught up last night, seems everyone is just there to build a cabin, then starve to death. Not sure because I am not there but I think food and water would be #1 for me and build a shelter in between. Maybe just me but with out food I wouldn't be in any mood to cut logs and work on a cabin for 10/15 days hoping to find food after that was done.  ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #534 on: July 15, 2023, 03:45:03 pm »
I think there will be two more to tap next week.

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #535 on: July 24, 2023, 10:58:45 am »
I was wrong. Might happen on the 27th.

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2023, 12:27:48 pm »
Well Marlaine tapped. Got another guy eating unknown mushrooms. HaHa has a good infection in his left arm. I think Mikey will tap next. Alan is doing fine!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #537 on: August 05, 2023, 08:32:51 am »
There is that scene in the lead-up where a guy is going out on the ice to cut a hole to fish. If this is from somewhere down the road from where they are at now with the lake not iced up yet, there could be several hanging in there for the long haul.

It seems like contestants missing their family causes the majority of folk to tap out. The guy with the splinter in his arm seems to have no such attachments so he may out last the other two who do.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #538 on: August 05, 2023, 04:43:05 pm »
I like the three that are left. They seem to be doing things even when they’re not doing anything. They made pretty decent shelters but didn’t knock themselves out of the game building them.

I like how Allyn is always making fishing lures. Even names them and definitely tries to perfect them.

I like how Mike made the toy for his son and wrote the letters to his wife with natural materials.

I do think you are right about how hard it becomes for people who miss their loved ones. When it comes down to it. Time is the one thing you can’t get any more of.

Wyatt doesn’t seem to be letting that get to him so far. On the other hand if Mikey hunkers down and sticks to doing this for his son’s special needs it’s hard to say.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #539 on: August 06, 2023, 09:53:26 am »
I agree about contestants tapping out because of loneliness and missing their families. One thing that's impressive is their accuracy shooting grouse. I think this is the best as a collective group of archers yet. Can't really tell how far the shots are but they appear to be consistently killing grouse. I think the fishing is going to get tougher until freeze up when they can get out on the ice and fish deeper.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges