Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 104588 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 10:09:58 am »
I wrote insulation tarp but I meant tarp. that one used to cover shelters.
I saw the first episode and they all have one so maybe it was something apart the 10 items list

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 02:08:50 am »
Finally saw the entire season.
Interesting show.
What amaze me is how big the loneliness factor is compared to traditional survival obstacles.
It also strikes me how every man (and woman) has different attitudes and approach to a similar problem

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 08:24:01 am »
I watched it now to Glis. It is interesting show. It's interesting how the mental part of being able to tap at anytime and being so alone messes with their minds. I'm betting if there was nobody coming to get them when they tapped things would play out differently. I do enjoy the show though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 10:59:45 am »
What is interesting is how unsuccessful they are at hunting and trapping. The tracks in the snow showed that there is lots of game about but other than a few grouse it was fishing that kept them going.
 I'm not sure how it would play out if there was no one to get them. Humans being a social animal I'll bet they would slowly go wacko and starve to death or get killed doing something wacko.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 11:08:50 am »
You could be right DC, I think the survival instincts might take over the social needs if you knew nobody was coming to get you. I did think hunting would play a bigger part this season and to some extent it did, but it wasn't as big of a deal maker as I thought it might be. One successful large game hunt might have done it though. I'll watch the next season.
Bjrogg

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 04:02:09 am »
I often tought of Ishi story while watching the series.
When he was left alone and without tools he almost starved to death
Alone players had tools but I bet their survival skills weren't up to Ishi's

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:18 am »
The last episode I saw they were having a hard time catching fish. I'm surprised you never see anyone tying flies in survival situations. A waxed spool of thread and a dozen hooks and some fishing line and you could tie up some nice flies with a little fur or a few feathers.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 02:53:57 am »
One of the participants made an artificial lure out of some paracord and apparently it worked.
As long as the season was good they used natural lures. Mainly grasshoppers

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 06:12:21 am »
Season 6 will air on june 6.
Place is a canadian lake far in the north

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 07:31:29 am »
It seems that they have reduced this show to a starvation contest. The fatter you are before you go in the better your chances. I guess shortening the winners time cuts production costs. I guess if they put them in a survivable location the show would last to long for a 13 episode series(or whatever it is). That said I'll be glued to the set this Thursday :D :D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 10:14:51 am »
That "alone" factor is what set the mountain men apart.  Many of them linked up with various native bands for the winter.  The Rocky Mountains were called the High Lonesome" for a solid reason.  Some of them were plumb crazy, if they survived!  Haven't seen any of the show, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Woodely

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 08:30:04 pm »
I saw snow on the previews,  only place I want to see snow is while I'm driving down the freeway looking West at the mountains.  Although I saw a woman carrying a takedown bow, might make it interesting.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 06:08:08 am »
It seems that they have reduced this show to a starvation contest. The fatter you are before you go in the better your chances. I guess shortening the winners time cuts production costs.

The extreme cold may introduce the need to collect more wood and build more comfortable shelters altough starting with a lot of fat strapped on yourself seems to be a great benefit

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 07:42:37 am »
Haven't seen any previews yet. Should be set up to record the show though. Got my curiosity peaked. Wondering where exactly they are and when they get dropped off. If it's on the sea ice I'd be sitting by a blow hole.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 06:44:44 am »
Where can I see "Alone"?  I tried Googling it but came up with naked people and they weren't in a survival situation.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC