Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 104559 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2019, 03:33:08 pm »
If I recall my survival training correctly, you need a fairly tight, but ventilated shelter, and a small fire, maybe the size of a baseball cap, and a heap of firewood including some thick enough to bank the fire.
I'm too old to try to do that any more, but I do teach some survival in Hunter Education.  Fat is extremely important in the diet, as well.  Good luck if you apply!
Hawkdancer

I think I will apply for the Season 8. That gives me time to prepare and learn.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2019, 04:05:23 pm »
Wohoho! seeing that just made my day for some reason!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2019, 04:02:22 am »
If I recall my survival training correctly, you need a fairly tight, but ventilated shelter, and a small fire, maybe the size of a baseball cap, and a heap of firewood including some thick enough to bank the fire.

Yes. the difficult part is to balance ventilated and warm enough, tight shelter but not so small to catch fire at every spark, small fire but not so small to be difficult to mantein

that is another subject for debate
in the show I've seen many times participants saw piles of ten inches  twigs and logs for fire
while is indubitable that well chosen and prepared wood make a better fire I see millions of calories burned in a substantial emergency situation
I doubt that in ancient times cutting wood was such a surgical action

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2019, 07:17:34 am »

Yes. the difficult part is to balance ventilated and warm enough, tight shelter but not so small to catch fire at every spark, small fire but not so small to be difficult to mantein

that is another subject for debate
in the show I've seen many times participants saw piles of ten inches  twigs and logs for fire
while is indubitable that well chosen and prepared wood make a better fire I see millions of calories burned in a substantial emergency situation
I doubt that in ancient times cutting wood was such a surgical action

Yes wasting that much energy making such a shelter doesn't make sense.  Instead of a plastic tarp they would be better off bringing a canvas tarp, much heavier but much more resistant to sparks and heat.

A really small fire is nice but not much use when temps get well below freezing

A good shelter is important but stockpiling food is another.  What I don't understand is why the guy who shot the Moose didn't keep the important food (fat) with him in the shelter.  I wouldn't have let it out of my sight.  Also I sure hope he didn't leave all the Moose meat in the bush when he left, that would be disrespectful.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2019, 11:10:44 am »
What was even crazier was when he put all the snares on the post for his platform to keep the wolverine from getting his supplies and then left the ladder leaning against the platform.lol.

I'm thinking he took all his meat, but can't say for positive. They always put everything back as close to the way it was when they got there before they leave. I'm thinking the wolverine wouldn't mind if he left something for him. I know if it was me I'd want to take it back. Along with a few other reminders of the adventure.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2019, 09:55:42 am »
He talked a lot about what a disaster losing his fat was. It was almost like he was saying that shooting the moose was a waste of time because he lost the fat. But he did win :D. I think his experience in Siberia was a big help in his win but having a stash of moose and wolverine meat clinched it. I think the other contestants would have killed for a big moose steak. When they edited the show they seemed to downplay the fact that he had this big pile of meat and could fill his stomach every day.
I think I noticed that any house fires they had(previous seasons too) were in shelters where they built the fire pit against a wall with some kind of chimney. Some of them just had a little fire pit in the centre of the shelter with no attempt at a chimney at all. That looked to be the way to go.
This was the best season IMO. There was lots of game taken and some amazing archery shots. I did wonder how many arrows they took. I'm sure that if I was shooting at a squirrel in a tree in that country I would lose an arrow every shot.

Offline sleek

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2019, 10:11:45 am »
GEE spoiler alert! I'm still on season 5! Actually,  I'm learning that even if I knew who won, it really is the story of how that makes the show good. I find myself disappointed almost everytime someone taps, because I wanted to see how this new thing or situation they had set up was going to serve them, or I was fascinated by how they were handled g the situation and wanted to learn more from them.

Offline sleek

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2019, 10:13:27 am »
I sent an email requesting consideration for Season 8, if they get their contract renewed.

Offline DC

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2019, 10:15:54 am »
GEE spoiler alert! I'm still on season 5! Actually,  I'm learning that even if I knew who won, it really is the story of how that makes the show good. I find myself disappointed almost everytime someone taps, because I wanted to see how this new thing or situation they had set up was going to serve them, or I was fascinated by how they were handled g the situation and wanted to learn more from them.

Sorry Sleek, I thought enough time had passed. It's hard to read this thread without wanting to comment about particular instances.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2019, 10:44:45 am »
I did wonder how many arrows they took. I'm sure that if I was shooting at a squirrel in a tree in that country I would lose an arrow every shot.

Recurve Wooden Bow with 6 Arrows (Field or Hunting tips, your choice, it doesn’t seem to matter)

I'm pretty sure he still had alot of food when his wife came.
Even without fat he could have lasted many more days

Offline sleek

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2019, 10:48:03 am »

Sorry Sleek, I thought enough time had passed. It's hard to read this thread without wanting to comment about particular instances.

Not a problem! Like I said, it's the story of how they got to that point that makes the show. I knew there was a risk when I read this thread  no need to apologize:)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2019, 12:47:42 pm »

Sleek I gotta say I'm sorry if I spoiled it for anyone, but it's pretty hard for us that have seen it not to talk about it to.
 It's interesting. When I grew up we had 3 tv stations. No record button. All of it free airwaves. Paid for by commercials. It was pretty good entertainment and the three stations really did complete for viewers. It really did help people have something in common and give them something to talk about.
Now we have all these options to watch whatever and record to watch later. The cost has become crazy plus we still have the commercials. My brother and I like a lot of the same proprams but don't watch them at the same time so we can't talk about them.lol  Strange how sometimes the more communication we have the less we communicate.

I agree with your conclusion though. It really doesn't matter if you know who won. It is the adventure that's the entertainment. Really most of the winners weren't who I was most entertained by. I was many times surprised when people just plain got lonely, proved to themselves what they needed to prove to themselves and decided it was time to go home
Bjrogg

Offline sleek

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2019, 01:02:24 pm »
Anyone reading this thread knows darn well spoilers may happen. I'm not worried,  I'm even more excited to see it unfold now! This is gonna be great!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2019, 01:39:30 pm »
SPOILER: Sleek wins!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2019, 02:37:20 pm »
Anyone reading this thread knows darn well spoilers may happen. I'm not worried,  I'm even more excited to see it unfold now! This is gonna be great!

I was pretty sure of that Sleek.
I've often thought though how different things are now just because of how we communicate in this new world.
Bjrogg
PS I mean really if you think about it I'm in the middle of a field,driving my tractor, communicating with you and a whole bunch of other people I may never meet in person in my life