Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 106423 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2020, 03:46:53 am »
Looks like he got lucky with a bad shot.  Very little penetration in the back leg.  He must have hit an artery.  He is using a Bear longbow I think.

he had a second arrow. dont know what happened with it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2020, 08:41:00 pm »
Gotta remember they are doing all the filming. If it was me the number one priority would be to get a good shot with the bow, not necessarily the camera. I would have taken a picture before I tried to stalk. Then just put all my concentration on the hunt. Then film myself shooting a arrow.

I’m thinking the video of the arrow in hind quarter with little penetration was a second shot. He said it was about a 35 yard shot. That would be a very long shot for me. Certainly others that would feel comfortable with it though. I believe it ended up about two miles from camp. It obviously didn’t drop in its tracks. He put a good effort in recovery and processing the animal. Also a lot of effort in transporting it back to camp. I think he said he walked about 40 miles in three day plus the work of processing and carrying it. Also had a bear that was causing concern. I wouldn’t be surprised if he adds a bear to the food supplies.

As for the wrap on his bow. I’m thinking that’s how he carries some extra cordage when he hunts or something. I don’t think it is a repair to his bow.

Looks like in one of the future episodes someone build a log storage container for food. The one fella did like Marc said and hung his fish from a pole with a rope. A bear got the rope down and all his fish. Now he’s after the bear. Hopefully he gets it.

I’m looking forward to next episode

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2020, 09:08:09 am »
Looks like in one of the future episodes someone build a log storage container for food.

yup and it looks like he keeps on building with a bomb shelter as a reference.
Now that he got fuel it could be the very winning strategy

Offline JEB

« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2020, 09:32:43 am »
Who ever made the best and warmest shelter probably won this thing. When that cold and really cold wind sets in people will start heading home.

Offline DC

« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2020, 10:43:42 am »
Looks like in one of the future episodes someone build a log storage container for food.

yup and it looks like he keeps on building with a bomb shelter as a reference.
Now that he got fuel it could be the very winning strategy

I keep thinking that just about anything a guy can put together a bear can surely rip apart. Anything I can lift a bear would just swipe off without thinking. That and they are so persistent. I like the hanging from a rope idea but you need to do something with the end of the rope. I think the only hope is outsmarting him somehow.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2020, 12:37:31 pm »
he has probably 400+ pounds of meat to store. It could be difficult to hang all that weight
the cache looks pretty strong. Maybe all he needs is enough time to put an arrow through the bear
... or to stab it with is knife  )P(

Offline JEB

« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2020, 02:35:07 pm »
I don't know what that square thing is suppose to be but it is not going to keep a bear out.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2020, 03:05:21 pm »
I’m kinda thinking he has a trick up his sleeve yet. Certainly does seem a bear could rip pretty much anything apart given enough time. Maybe he will set up a alarm system of some kind.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2020, 05:20:13 am »
I finely watched it last night, getting interesting , I would say it was a big artery/vein  shot on the musk ox, lots of good stuff in the hind quarter, not the femoral or he wouldn't have had to stab it. If he can secure the meat he might just make it, seems tough enough, don't think the others will when things really get bad unless something changes.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2020, 09:30:58 am »
Is the guy that shot the musk ox the one who's shelter they showed burn down in the previews for next week?   )P(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2020, 11:35:15 am »
I wonder why they don't do the gutless method to strip the carcass and go back after everything is stripped and gut then remove the rest of the edibles. Both guys gutting  the moose and musk ox cut the stomach and made a mess.   

Offline HH~

« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2020, 01:50:04 pm »
Field skills dont come easy Eric.

H~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2020, 02:15:18 pm »
Anyone else think the musk ox was on its last yr up there? The reason I ask is the lack of fat on it. I thought they would have some fat. But I have never even seen one so idk.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2020, 02:39:14 pm »
And it was alone. They usually herd up, don't they?

Offline HH~

« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2020, 05:46:25 pm »
You could shear the wool off it it would come in handy for so many things in a cold environment. Have a sweater of of their wool I had for 40yrs. Never went on a mission without that thing. Kept me toasty at 18,000ft more than a few times.

H~
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:48:46 am by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW