Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 106867 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #375 on: July 01, 2021, 01:06:13 pm »
Hi Paul
I wont start questioning your taste.
If you actually watched the show and dont like it that's perfectly fine for me.

What I dont like in HH approach is he started moving critics well before even watching a single episode and every time he is proven wrong he slightly reset his target under a curtain of other off topic facts.
Let's see last example.
Assertion:
"They get filmed. That's purty obvious."

Explanation and witness (Keith ) that say no. They are not filmed.

now the assertion is "their base camp should be very close"
ok. That could be very true and still they have to film their challenge all alone.

When yer starving do you think you have time to set up or rather Stage hunt scenes?
As far as I know that could even be made after the end of the show.
I'm sure they have a contract with a million of terms. You have to provide the scenes for the show. that's all.

Are there mechanics different from true primitive survival? Hell yeah. You would be really childish thinking otherwise.
They talked about the push button and go home syndrome in every season.
They have to obey to hunting, trapping and fishing rules that in a survival situation would not exist.
they could be eliminated without recourse for medical reasons too.
Still the human factor, how everyone make their choices and translate them into actions, is the best part in my opinion  ...and lookin at Cunnuckistan green water too.

I'd prefer not to continue a personal debate and I also do not feel a real need to defend the show so I promise I'll try to refrain and comment specific show facts in future.

Offline HH~

« Reply #376 on: July 01, 2021, 01:50:26 pm »
And all the Kings men could not put Humpty back together again.

Dont have any problem commenting on show or contestants. People do stupid chit for money all over world. Depending how you fare this could one of those.

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #377 on: July 01, 2021, 02:01:51 pm »
There's not much TV that is worth watching these days and I don't watch much of it, much prefer reading.  Hardly watch anything made in NA, I find European TV programs to be better than the foolish fluff coming out of Hollywood.  Alone is one of the few that I do watch
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #378 on: July 03, 2021, 06:38:05 pm »
Something else my wife and I have wondered.  Why, when one of them catches a fish or small game, they don't use the guts or internal organs they don't plan on eating as bait to catch fish on set lines.  Doesn't make sense to me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #379 on: July 03, 2021, 08:11:25 pm »
Something else my wife and I have wondered.  Why, when one of them catches a fish or small game, they don't use the guts or internal organs they don't plan on eating as bait to catch fish on set lines.  Doesn't make sense to me

I have always wondered the same thing Marc. I figured that out as a kid. Best bait I ever used.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #380 on: July 04, 2021, 07:25:00 am »
I'm pretty sure Clay mentioned artificial lures only on this lake but I'm not positive of that.  There's definitely some rules that wouldn't apply to a "true" survival situation.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline HH~

« Reply #381 on: July 04, 2021, 08:22:13 am »
I like the question that Holly wood keeps going back to the "Why". What is it. . . . ? Everytime. . . . . . Money.

Clay makes a great Alder net and they dont even show any of what went into that net. I am sure they or he filmed it. All about the reality money.

Like I said before a 21 day patrol is a MF'er when yer in bad guy country with only what you take on yer back running 22hrs a day or more. So you see, these folks takinga knee inside three weeks is of no surprise to me. Most folks who've never run empty for weeks will or train do it will not succeed. Think if they put em all through SERE for a month they would last much much longer.

How does Clay film himself filming a deer. So, if he has a handheld camera on the deer. Where's the footage? So, yer staving, he is complaining its hard humping up there on a empty gut and he's carrying two cameras and all the batteries to power them to hunt deer. OK.

HH~
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:26:35 am by HH~ »

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #382 on: July 04, 2021, 07:50:32 pm »
Haven't read this yet, because I Haven't watched it yet,  ??? watching it tonight and will get back to yall later, was at the cabin since Thursday and don't have satellite there so all I watch if anything is Grit. Can't wait to see what happened.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: July 04, 2021, 09:55:42 pm »
Watched it tonight, enjoyed it as usual, ya I can see things I think I would do different it out there alone with minimal supplies who knows. Pappy 
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #384 on: July 04, 2021, 10:03:35 pm »
Pappy ... we won't spoil it for ya.

HH ... contestants are required to pack at least one camera with em virtually everywhere they go. On this occasion and, I think, because he wasn't hiking lonnnng way from camp, Clay toted 2 cameras and he said in his YT review of episode 5 he was just lucky to have 2nd camera pointed just right for him to be in frame for that "draw" clip. Betcha producers were elated!!
Yeah, I can't imagine the determination to go 3 weeks with virtually no sustenance. Those who tap out should still hold their heads high.

PASteve ... yes, this season contestants are saddled with lotsa regulations that make tough situation nigh on impossible. They can use live bait, but it can't be live fish/minnows.

Looking forward to next week!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline HH~

« Reply #385 on: July 04, 2021, 10:10:18 pm »
Well, to make it clear. It the height of Pandemic they let prolly 50-100 Americans in Bannanada.

Yesterday the same place refused to let US citizens in to watch Stanley Cup. I hope American hunters remember this.

HH~

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #386 on: July 04, 2021, 11:55:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure Clay mentioned artificial lures only on this lake but I'm not positive of that.  There's definitely some rules that wouldn't apply to a "true" survival situation.

Seems a little strange. This very remote lake. Obviously has a good population of Bears and squirrels you can’t hunt or trap? And fish you can’t fish with anything but artificial lures? And somebody thought this is a good place to drop you off and try to survive and obey those regulations?

Probably should tie one arm behind your back right away to.

Still gonna be watching though.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #387 on: July 05, 2021, 06:29:50 am »
Seems a little strange. This very remote lake. Obviously has a good population of Bears and squirrels you can’t hunt or trap? And fish you can’t fish with anything but artificial lures? And somebody thought this is a good place to drop you off and try to survive and obey those regulations?

+1

as far as I can find online these are fishing rules for Chilko lake (region 5 cariboo).   add (  https://www2.  )
gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/region_5_cariboo.pdf

CHILKO LAKE 
Trout/char daily quota = 2 ( no rainbow trout over 70 cm; only 1 bull trout and it may not be under 60 cm)
Bait ban, single barbless hook
No powered boats on Big Lagoon (west side of lake)

on albertaregulations   .ca
Bait Ban means only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations.

that would explain all the fishing weirdness, the absence of gill nets and redefine how the game should be played.
On top of that fishing with artificial lures without a modern rod and reel is much more difficult than with natural bait.
I also wonder how they considered those (useless) woven fish traps. I bet they should be considered illegal too.
I'd love to know what game they are allowed to hunt
It seems the if you cant get the deer you are destined to starve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: July 05, 2021, 08:30:20 am »
Ya that part don't make a lot of since to me, seems they would find a better place to try and make it where you could hunt and fish anything, not like they are going to effect the population with the equipment they have at hand. I wouldn't want to do it anyway but for sure not with all them rules, I would wind up in jail, cause if I got hungry I would turn the camera off.  ;) :) As far as them letting folks in during the pandemic , I could care less  ::) they are kind of isolated anyway as you can see.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #389 on: July 05, 2021, 08:50:09 am »
Yeah, Im out. Cant watch a game show made in Bannanada where Chyna owns most that Province and they got CCP rules.

I think if they do a show they do one in North Korea and see how that works out. May end up like Midnight Express but it'll be real. Maybe do one in NYC where you can come out at night and only eat what you scavage. See how that one would end up? Give everyone night vision, Kbar and a .45acp.

HH~