Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 106864 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #405 on: July 13, 2021, 10:22:17 am »
Stand fast, as you were.  It is in there. Never saw it. Thanks Glis
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:43:59 am by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline StickMark

« Reply #406 on: July 20, 2021, 02:09:51 pm »
I agree that Rose might be a sleeper. 
The show never really gives a daily accounting of calories in per person. Why? Because Alone is not a scientific paper, lol.

I wonder if the people can kill more than one buck while out there. When the show does the arial view of camps, it looks like Clay has more edge-transition areas in his pace, and Colter has the nice bay for boat launching. Coincidence?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #407 on: July 20, 2021, 07:54:57 pm »
Needless to say I started watching the danish series (english subtitles) on youtube.
It's standard Alone and pretty good except for the absence of hunting scenes
I dont know if they are not allowed to hunt or if they dont want to.
It is quite weird because there are situations where they get close to reindeers and mooses

I've watched a few of those.  Translation is pretty bad and the contestants don't seem to immerse themselves too much into survival mode
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2021, 04:46:53 am »
I've watched a few of those.  Translation is pretty bad and the contestants don't seem to immerse themselves too much into survival mode

I read somewhere that the contestants were mostly passionate but quite inexperienced people.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2021, 05:18:38 pm »
Caught up on it last nigh after being away for 10 days, don't think they are going to make it as long as last year unless they start figuring out better ways to get food or catch some fish, seems they are all lacking in that except for Clay and even that , it will be hard to live off jerky and a rabbit now and then when it really gets cold.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2021, 04:37:16 am »
it seems that after day 45 they are allowed to use gill nets. That could change the game.
Looking at the vegetation types it seems that they are not in the same icy climatic zone as last year.
Maybe it will take more time for the lake to freeze

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2021, 09:08:53 am »
it seems that after day 45 they are allowed to use gill nets. That could change the game.
Looking at the vegetation types it seems that they are not in the same icy climatic zone as last year.
Maybe it will take more time for the lake to freeze

Most of these people that have gill nets don't think clearly.  One of the first things I would have done while the water is still fairly warm is set up a sort of zip line system for the net and go out in the water to set it up

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: July 22, 2021, 10:18:06 am »
I thought the one woman that swam the net anchor out was foolish and lucky she isn't already dead. She spent 30 minutes in the water and got tangled in the line and almost didn't get out. Any of these folks should know the hazards of cold water on the human body and the affects of hypothermia.
 Curious to see how Clay handles his marauding bear. I assume shooting a bear is off limits. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #413 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:07 am »
I thought the one woman that swam the net anchor out was foolish and lucky she isn't already dead. She spent 30 minutes in the water and got tangled in the line and almost didn't get out. Any of these folks should know the hazards of cold water on the human body and the affects of hypothermia.

Yep. Cold water and tangled lines are a real hazard. Been there while kitesurfing. When your hands get numb, your body wont stop shaking and you are still entangled in icy water you have to be lucky to live and learn the lesson.
I was provident enough to have a knife with me and also stupid enough to wait to use it not to damage my gear...

At least Theresa left the fire going before entering the water

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2021, 01:34:54 pm »
I guess it depends on one's constitution.  When I was younger cold water did not bother me very much

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2021, 09:20:16 am »
I was breaking ice to put my duck decoys out years ago, as I got waist deep i could tell there was hole in my waders about crotch high. I thought "I am tough" and decided to see how long I could tolerate the freezing water filled waders, I made it 30 minutes and was so cold I could barely hold my gun.

I picked up my decoys and hurried home, I only lived about 10 minutes from the duck hunting area. I spent the next few hours trying to get my core temp back up, even a hot shower didn't work quickly to stop the shivering.

I learned a lesson about hypothermia, it is bad stuff.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2021, 01:21:24 pm »
During the Battle of the Atlantic, some sailors were rescued from the cold water. Warmed by showers, dressed in warm clothes, eating warm soup, some still started dying right at the dinner table of a ship. The core temperature still plummeted, after all that, and some died.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2021, 03:25:06 pm »
I was pond jumping (going from one Beaver pond to another looking for Ducks) in my 20's in late Oct., ice was starting to form on the ponds.  I'm pretty sure I regretted this one shot just after I pulled the trigger, I was never one to leave something I shot if I could get to it.  No Dog so I stripped to my underwear, the pond was fairly shallow.  Fortunately the ice was pretty thin and was only for a few feet on shore.  My legs were pretty red when I got out of the water but it didn't take me long to warm up, I didn't shoot another Duck that day though.

If you're not used to cold it can mess you up

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #418 on: July 24, 2021, 05:19:46 pm »
If you're not used to cold it can mess you up

After being stationed a year and a half on tropical Guam I was sent to 1st Class Dive School, then in DC, in February. We were sent down river on a salvage training project in April right when a cold spell hit. Waves were washing up on the sunken boat and freezing on the deck. I get sent over the side to do a hull inspection in a wet suit and a "Jack Browne" rig. Wet suit rips up the back but dumb me stays in the water and finishes the inspection. Took about 1/2 an hour.
Yeah, I learned about hypothermia the hard way that day. They took me down to the engine room and I stayed by the little package boiler for an hour or two.

Sometimes I wonder how I got to be so old after being so dumb when I was younger...  ???

Offline willie

« Reply #419 on: July 24, 2021, 10:46:16 pm »
During the Battle of the Atlantic, some sailors were rescued from the cold water. Warmed by showers, dressed in warm clothes, eating warm soup, some still started dying right at the dinner table of a ship. The core temperature still plummeted, after all that, and some died.

the causes of death from rapid rewarming are not well understood, but it is seen as preventable nowadays, and not a result of dropping core temp.

Do not rewarm the person too quickly, such as with a heating lamp or hot bath.

Don't attempt to warm the arms and legs. Heating or massaging the limbs of someone in this condition can stress the heart and lungs.

Don't give the person alcohol or cigarettes. Alcohol hinders the rewarming process, and tobacco products interfere with circulation that is needed for rewarming.

from the Mayo Clinic Minute