Author Topic: epoxy question  (Read 6351 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: epoxy question
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 01:49:00 am »
Jeff make sure its smooth on EA-40 as the also make mold making material !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03:19 am »
Thanks SB. I made sure.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 08:05:11 am »
I use uni bond 800.  It's a do it all glue in all wood applications.  It's cheaper than smooth on and cures fine @ 70 deg and above.  It's gap filling which is nice with spliced bows and laminates in general.  It doesn't have a great shelf life, but if you keep it in the refrigerator it will last a year if not longer.  I've heard good things about smooth on but never tried it. 
I've used weld wood resin too with good results, and that stuff is cheap (you can get it on amazon).  But it did start to clump up on me in a couple months and I could only get it in the dark brown color. 

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:45 am »
just a couple suggestions
do not thrust the cure time table.
your epoxy may be hard and workable but you will get the best performances after a significant amount of time.
It's a good idea to let your bonded pieces rest for at least a couple of days in a hot place.
Wrap it in black plastic bag and put in your car exposed to sun. 100F or more is best.

Be paranoid while mixing the two epoxy parts. that would make a great difference between a decent and an excellent bond.
Check the curing time and plan a solid mixing before use

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:31 am »
With smooth on you can go up to two to one for a stronger mix, I've never done it but you can weight the mix on a digital scale to get your 50/50 mix. I have gone two to one before with zero problems but it won't last as long as going 50/50
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 11:26:14 am »
I was referring more at the care you put while blending the components than the ratio.

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 12:14:26 pm »
Yeah but you need the ratio right as well. I get mine all clamped to my caul and stick it in the cap of my truck, gets 125-130 easy here. I also wrap it with stretch wrap first then use my innertubes

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 12:34:04 pm »
I also wrap it with stretch wrap first then use my innertubes

Please excuse me, but what do you mean by ‘innertubes’?
The first thing that came to my mind would mean a constant 98 degrees, but sounds rather painful...  :o
(Just kidding, of course.. ..since English in not my native language, my vocabulary is very limited.)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 12:43:10 pm »
Bicycle tubes

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 12:48:54 pm »
I use bicycle innertubes for stretch clamps, lots of guys do. Easy to get a consistent pressure on the bow when gluing up a lam, like a hickory backed ipe

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 02:41:14 pm »
Ah - I see...  :D
Do you just wrap the whole tubes around the limb or do you cut them open lengthwise first to get a wider strip?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 03:24:54 pm »
I cut the valve out and split the tube in half, lengthwise. I use it to wrap the pieces to be bonded. For a backed bow I use 1 half for each limb.  I also use rubber bands for holding tip overlays after gluing. I get good, even glue lines and no dry spots that can happen with screw clamps and some other methods of clamping. I doubt you could wrap with tube bands too tightly to adversely affect the glue joint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 06:35:28 pm »
If your doing the glue-up on a caul, do you just wrap the tubes around caul and the bow?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 06:41:37 pm »
I do the wrap first, just around the bow and then bend it into shape on the caul. There is enough slip in the epoxy to allow it to conform. You might have trouble with this if you're using TB whatever, it grabs pretty quick.

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 09:38:43 pm »
I just cut the stem area out, I don't split the tubes, and I wrap around the caul, or at least to the caul. I wrap the bow with stretch wrap and this is two fold. It keeps everything where it is supposed to be, and keeps the epoxy off everything, the tubes the caul, any clamps you use, the seat in the truck when I hotbox it. You can also see the glue moving in the jointi wrap one limb both ways making a cross pattern then do the other limb. Make sure if you use a flat backer like a hickory strip lay a piece narrower than the bow down the center, then wrap the tubes, this keeps the backer from cupping if it gets too much edge pressure