Author Topic: Australia Primitive  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Australia Primitive
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:51:56 am »
Hi all. I had a fellow contact me from Australia looking for staves/info on building selfbows. I suggested that he find someone on the continent who could steer him in the right direction. Sounds like he has a group of newbies looking to build some bows and arrows. I am happy to help with the arrow part, but shipping staves across the Pacific seems rather crazy, especially if there brand new and could break them. I suggested board bows or maybe there is some good species of wood down there that is readily available. PM me if you are in Oz and would be willing to chat with this fellow, I could share his email with you. Thanks!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Australia Primitive
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:41:24 am »
I think a few of the eucalyptus species make good bows. I know there are many species of eucalyptus so that's not much help. I also think that locust was transplanted there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/australian-wood-for-bows-not-just-eucalytps-t47632.html
Here's a link with some bow woods down under, beefwood and mallet are a couple
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 04:20:31 pm »
Thanks fellas!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline cadet

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:56:47 pm »
Which part of the country is he in?  Looking for boards or staves?  Happy to talk.